Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET)
Location: WA - Renton
Employment Type: Regular
Job Category: WOTC - Technology
Bring Your Brain…..
We’ll Supply the Dragons!!!
Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and the world's largest publisher of adventure games, including Magic: The Gathering® Trading Card Game and Dungeons & Dragons® Roleplaying Games has an exciting opportunity for a Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET) to join our Magic Digital team. Only local candidates need apply. There is no relocation assistance for this position.
Launched in 2002, Magic: The Gathering Online is the official online edition of the world’s most popular trading card game. Magic Online allows players to collect and trade virtual cards, build the perfect deck and find opponents at all skill levels – all from the comfort of their own homes. For more information on Wizards of the Coast and Magic: The Gathering Online, visit www.wizards.com.
We offer competitive salaries, a great benefits package, and the excitement of working in a creative organization. But the best part of working here is that we think creating products that bring hours of enjoyment to millions around the globe is an inherently cool way to earn a living.
WHAT IS THIS ROLE ABOUT?
The SDET, Magic Digital - Automation role is responsible for developing automation targeting the Magic: The Gathering Online (MTGO) client. In addition to the standard requirements of a Wizards SDET, it is preferred that this person have experience with Gibraltar and Loupe.
The SDET, performs testing efforts for new and updated applications, configurations, and databases associated with both online games and internal applications. The candidate will be responsible for coordinating their personal portions of the testing efforts across multiple applications. The SDET, being an experienced QA professional, will be asked to support the planning of testing for themselves, other SDETs, and occasionally STEs. Formal test and development methodologies will be used to create test plans, develop test tools, maintain existing test frameworks and implement automation suites sufficient to meet: internal test standards, QA Best Practices, business requirements and project schedules.
The candidate will need to successfully test in multiple categories of testing from UI, unit, data, API, class, security, functional, performance, and application deployment while correctly applying test strategies to components, applications, systems and configurations.
DAY TO DAY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS WIZARD
• Own testing through all phases of a formal test cycle (design, planning, test passes, code coverage, bug regressions, and deployment) for assigned test areas and meet project schedules and milestones
• Coordinate with SDETs in testing all application tiers, coordinating efforts and reporting personal progress to QA Lead and/or QA Manager
• Coordinate middle-tier and backend testing with STEs in testing frontend application tiers
• Automate existing black box tests (all tiers), for functional and performance uses
• Lead the improvement of software development process through all teams in accordance with Total Quality Assurance best practices (including, but not limited to, project management, development, business, operations, and Quality Management)
• Where appropriate, institute training policies and classes for Quality Management staff (and interested parties outside of QA)
• Create test documentation (test strategies, plans, designs, scripts) derived from a variety of sources (business use cases, functional specifications, object models, relational diagrams, class diagrams, system diagrams) to support individual and group testing efforts. Able to derive requirements from non-documentation sources
• Create middle tier and backend test plans and test cases, and supporting applications, harnesses, and automation to successfully test at the API, class, interface, data access, and application layers in 4G languages like C# or C++
• Enter, track and regress issues in a formal defect management system, and to internal standards. Provide technical, business, operational assessment of defects in owned test areas and meet defect goals for entry/regression/feedback through project milestones
• Participate in status, training, and brainstorming meetings with members of all technical and business departments
• Verify the build and coding standards by running Static Code Analysis and BVT tests, reviewing build notifications and diff evaluations, review code coverage and verifying proper deployment of applications, data assets, and configurations associated with the online game and store
• Testing and verification of changes made to online game(s), and supporting database(s) through the use of automated test and manual scripts
• Investigate issues raised by the technical support, customer service and business teams
• Develop and own industry knowledge to assist development in their efforts with 3rd party vendors
• Contribute testing effort to short-term and one-off type projects in parallel with long term testing tasks
Who Are the Other Wizards, Teams and Partners You Will Work With?
• QA Manager
• QA Lead
• Configuration Management
• Software Developers
• Technical Producers
• Project Managers
• Customer Service team
• Technology Services & Operations team
AM I QUALIFIED?
Experience Creating and Casting these Spells:
• Ability to develop (from site statistics and projection models) basic performance test scenarios
• Ability to design and implement test cases for a distributed, N-tier application including physical or virtual separation of applications in a distributed application (client-to-server, server-to-server, and server-to-data layer)
• Ability to review system level or application level documentation (object models, class diagrams, and entity-relationship diagrams), and derive technical and test documentation to test at API, interface, class, and application level
• Network testing and/or analysis for configuration, performance, security or functionality
• Ability to parse database schemas and relational diagrams sufficient to create/update SQL statements in order to: extract test data, create new records, and to modify existing data to complete data level test passes
• Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of people working diverse schedules
• Ability to work well with cross platform developers
• Ability to adapt to changing business and development requirements and adjust test plan accordingly
Knowledge, Abilities and Characteristics of the Ideal Wizard:
• 3+ years experience in an organized software testing/development environment and in-depth knowledge of formal test methodologies and testing principles
• Junior Developer level experience with some high level computer language (C#, C++) in the creation or maintenance of test applications, test harnesses, and/or test frameworks (N-Unit)
• 1+ year experience as an SDET testing API’s, classes, functions, network configurations, integration and/or distributed application systems
• Strong communications skills, to both share necessary knowledge, and drive acceptance of quality processes
• Preferred Additional Experience:
• Experience with Gibraltar and Loupe.
• Experience in instructing technical skill classes appropriate for attendance by QA professionals
• In depth knowledge of MS-SQL and ability to understand and modify existing SQL test cases or creation of new SQL to meet test requirements
• 2+ years testing n-tier internet based applications (client, server, backend services, database), including ecommerce or online game applications
• Experience testing in multiple categories of testing from a list of: functional, deployment, integration, security, performance/load, regression, system, integration and BVT tests
• Experience setting up and testing Microsoft operating systems (Windows 2000, Windows XP, NT 4, Servers) and test or operational experience with *nix (Linux, BSD, Unix) systems
Education and Training:
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or (Mathematics, Physical Sciences, Engineering) or equivalent combination of non-technical
• Technical Certifications in software testing, programming (C++, C# or network/system administration)
Time Expected to Reach Full Performance Level in Position:
• 1 month
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
For more information about careers at Hasbro become a fan on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and join our careers group on LinkedIn.
Business Unit: Wizards of the Coast