Wizards of the Coast’s Response to COVID-19
COVID-19 is changing the daily lives of many of us in the Wizards of the Coast community and the world at large. The health and safety of our employees, fans and partners is our top priority and first responsibility.
As the situation continues to evolve, we’ll be paying close attention and continue working on new initiatives that will help our communities stay connected to their local stores, increase opportunities and formats for online play, and offer support to the stores in our Wizards Play Network who are bearing the brunt of the restrictions on social gatherings.
We know this is a difficult time and we are hopeful that maintaining some normalcy around our streaming shows, competitions and games can offer some comfort and togetherness in the coming weeks.
Read more below on specific steps we are taking. We’ll continue to update this page as new information becomes available, and we will be recapping this news on our weekly Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: The Gathering streaming shows.
CHANGES TO EVENTS
In the past weeks we’ve followed official guidance from the CDC and health advisories of local governments and cancelled in-person events. We are working on providing new and updated solutions for our organized play.
- March 12: Changes to Magic's competitive season and event schedule
- March 18: Changes to Qualifier for Players Tour Series 2 Events & Schedules
- March 18: WPN Qualifiers Suspended
- March 26: Changes to the Release of Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths
- March 31: Esports Update: MPL, Rivals, and Competitor 2020 Partial Season Changes
- April 20: Jumpstart Release Shifts to July 17
- June 4: Promo and Product Shipping Delays
- June 15: Product Delays in North America
- August 5: Regional Delays for Double Masters Promos
- September 9: Production Updates (Updated Sept 17)
- October 2: Commander Legends Global Release Moved to November 20, 2020
- January 20: Kaldheim Prerelease Rescheduled in Australia
- March 10: Time Spiral Remastered and Challenger Decks 2021 Delayed in Russia
- April 1: Strixhaven: School of Mages Product Delays
As city governments take unprecedented steps to protect public health and increase social distancing, we recognize the toll this isolation has on our vibrant gaming communities around the world. We’re working diligently to address the impact this has had on our local game stores and players.
Magic: The Gathering
Dungeons & Dragons
STAY AT HOME, PLAY AT HOME
With health and safety as our top priority, we also are working to limit the disruptions to our games and play patterns across all of our franchises. This includes delivering on our current Dungeons & Dragons adventure, altering our policies on Magic: The Gathering pre-release events for Ikoria: Lair of the Behemoths, and transitioning many organized play opportunities to online. You can read more about our individual efforts on each title below.
Magic: The Gathering
- March 5: Historic Anthology II release in Arena
- March 17: Brawl and Theros on Arena
- March 17: Magic Online Vintage Cube
- March 20: FNM at Home, With Your Local Store, and on MTG Arena
- March 20: MTGO Online Super Qualifier
- March 20: Esports Update - Magicfest Online, Q1 Mythic Points Standings, and More
- March 23: In-Store Play Suspened in NA, EU, and LATAM
- July 9: In-Store Play Suspension Temporarily Reinstated in US & LATAM
- October 14: Monthly In-Store Play Update, October 2020
- October 20: In-Store Play Temporarily Suspended in Europe
Dungeons & Dragons
- March 19: Free Explorer's Guide to Wildemount exceprt available digitally
- March 20: Stay at Home/Play at Home resources pages
- April 7: Starter Set Rulebook
- April 28: Essentials Kit Rulebook
- April 28: Dragon+ support and adventure material
Free online resources are available now, including:
- Daily Free Material (M-F)
- Materials for Families/Kids
- Advice for Playing Online
- D&D Basic Rules
- DMs Guild free titles
- Dragon+ free scenarios
WPN COMMUNITY SUPPORT
The Wizards Play Network plays a vital role as local hubs that connect our global community around the table each week. As the global health crisis continues, many stores are feeling economic strain and impact, as well as the psychological toll that social distancing is having on their community of players. Wizards of the Coast is committed to finding creative solutions to help lessen the burden on our stores and players around the world, you can read more about the steps we’re taking for retailers.
- March 9: Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths pre-release updates
- March 11: Event Guidelines and Accommodations
- March 20: Keeping Communities Close Through the Pandemic: A 1st Step
- April 6: Be Your Store's Champion
- April 6: Let's Double Everyone's Mystery Booster Allocation
- May 11: Jordan Bird | Building Communities & Running Events on Discord
- May 18: Announcing the Love Your LGS Promotion
- July 7: Evolving WPN Premium for COVID-19 and Beyond
- October 2: Commander Legends Release & Prerelease Rescheduled
- January 11: Retail Improvement Grants Open for 2021