Code of Conduct
Code of Conduct
Last Updated: December 18, 2013
All community and social networking aspects of the Websites and/or the Services are subject to the Code of Conduct (often referred to as "the CoC"). This includes, without limitation, account names, group/clan names, profile content, blog content and comments, chat and forum activity, e-mail and private messages to Wizards of the Coast staff.
The Code of Conduct applies to your participation in table top games, digital games and organized play. Your activities in any of the foregoing may result in disciplinary action affecting all your interactions with Wizards.
Violation of the Code of Conduct rules is grounds for all your accounts to be terminated. Termination includes your forfeiture of all product/content associated with and contained in your account(s), revocation of your permission to use our online games, services or tools in any way, and your suspension or removal from organized play. Wizards and staff are the final judges of whether a member's behavior qualifies as inappropriate or disruptive. This Code of Conduct is subject to change at any time at Wizards of the Coast's sole discretion.
- Choose your account's screen name and username carefully. Screen names that are deemed offensive may be modified or deactivated without notice. For example:
- Names of offensive or notorious persons, controversial political figures, references to cultural tragedies or of significant religious or occult meaning;
- Names containing profanity, obscene slang, graphic anatomical references, racial, ethnic, sexist, or religious slurs;
- Names with word combinations that produce an offensive result;
- Names of or references to illicit substances or drug-related paraphernalia;
- Names with the intent or effect of harming the reputation of another;
- Names including protocol prefixes and domain suffixes (e.g. http://, .org, .com);
- Names that impersonate the representation of a specific business or websites, including any business or websites you may operate or represent;
- Proper names of Wizards staff or their titles; or
- Misspellings, phonetic, and alternative spellings of prohibited names are subject to modification or deactivation. Variations of a deactivated screen name, as may be evidenced by your declarations under a new screen name that you are "really" the deactivated name, may also be deactivated and the account holder may have his or her account terminated.
- Do not use, post, distribute or link to obscene, pornographic, sexually explicit, graphically or gratuitously violent, derogatory, demeaning, malicious, defamatory, abusive, offensive, hateful or discriminatory language or content. This includes "masking" language by using alternative characters/spelling /spacing to get around profanity filters or claims of profanity filter "testing".
- Do not harass, bully, threaten, harm or cause discomfort for other persons, including any other members. For example:
- Use of hate speech or racial, ethnic, sexist, homophobic or religious slurs;
- Harassment of a specific person (repeated flaming, personal attacks or posting their private information);
- Trolling or baiting the community in general with inflammatory statements, such as ones designed to elicit a negative response from the community; or
- Posting or otherwise disclosing any personal or private information of another person, or any confidential information pertaining to a business, without consent.
- Do not promote, plan, glorify or engage in any illegal activity or otherwise make available content that would encourage or provide instructions for an illegal activity. These topics include crimes relating to drugs, drug paraphernalia, rape, solicitation of a minor and computer hacking, as well as copyright violation.
- Do not impersonate other persons, including fellow users or Wizards of the Coast staff, by screen name or self-representation, or attempt to obtain sensitive information from other members. For example:
- Falsely claiming an official title or to hold position relating to the Websites;
- Falsely claiming the representation of another business or websites;
- Faking an existing member's screen name by using similar-looking characters;
- "Spoofing" or "emoting" another member's text in a chat room;
- Falsely claiming to be a law enforcement officer; or
- Soliciting passwords or personal information from other members.
- Do not disrupt chat, forums, blog comments or other communication channels. For example:
- Spamming through repeated posts, or off-topic content by word or intent to forums or comments (scrolling, flooding, polling, or by "bumping" a post more than once in 48 hours);
- Making off-topic posts or chat or trades in the wrong forums or chat rooms (casual chat or role play in rooms or forums not designated for these types of activities); or
- Advertising trades or sales outside of the designated areas.
- Do not advertise. This includes:
- Advertising matches that card gamble/play for ante;
- Advertising player-run tournaments;
- Advertising trades or sales outside of the designated areas;
- Advertising or promoting a business or commercial websites outside of the designated areas including but not limited to, using account names that reference trading (TIX4CARDS, PaulsKardHaus, etc.) or using account names referring to any business or commercial venture; or
- Sending unsolicited commercial or purportedly informational messages to any members.
- Do not attempt to use or gain access to another's accounts or service, engage another member under false pretenses or otherwise defraud another member. Anyone linking to, posting, distributing or promoting hacks, modifications, viruses, or password mining Websites may face legal action in addition to normal account penalties.
- Do not attempt to artificially alter the outcome of a league, sanctioned event, or organized game. For example:
- Bribing or offering compensation in order to change the game outcome; or
- Stalling, spamming, harassing, or behaving in any unsportsmanlike manner that affects the game.
- Do not violate the terms of any official organized play tournament rules as published and updated by Wizard from time to time and at its sole discretion.
- DO NOT CHEAT OR DEFRAUD WIZARDS OF THE COAST OR OTHER PLAYERS!
Explanation of Disciplinary Escalation and Procedures
Moderators issue formal warnings, by post, private message or email when a member has committed a Code of Conduct infraction. Depending on the severity of the infraction, Wizards of the Coast may issue a warning, timed suspension or termination of the account.
This explanation of disciplinary procedure is meant to be a guideline for members to understand what their status may be with regard to the process. It is only a guideline and Wizards of the Coast may deviate from this procedure at any time in any manner it deems appropriate without notice. A specific chat, forum, list or online game situation may require other measures to ensure the family orientation of the Websites and Services.