Bring Your Brain..... Sr. Manager Competitive Gaming
We'll Supply the Dragon!
WHAT IS THIS ROLE ALL ABOUT?
- An experienced and passionate competitive gaming professional?
- Excited to join a team dedicated to innovating on Magic: The Gathering’s 25-year history in competitive gaming?
- Experienced in creating a culture of excellent competitive gaming design and execution, comprised of vision, collaboration, and impact?
- A fluid and flexible leader who is people-centric and nurturing, with a robust toolbox of skills to deal with a wide variety of people and situations?
- Excited about working on a lifestyle game that has been a part of gamers’ lives for 25 years, and to make it a part of their lives for 25 more?
Then we have a fantastic opportunity for you to consider. We’re looking for Senior Manager of Competitive Gaming for tabletop Magic: The Gathering. As part of the esports team leadership group, you will lead a team of competitive gaming professionals to design and execute best-in-class programming for tabletop Magic. You and your team will collaborate with the rest of the esports team, including the Magic: The Gathering Arena esports team, event management team, and video and content production team, as well as with the TCG design studio and our regional business and marketing teams, to deliver an outstanding competitive gaming experience for our fans and deliver tangible business impact.
At Wizards of the Coast, we believe diversity of experience is fundamental to creating accessible and fun gaming experiences for *all* of our players. We encourage everyone to consider being a part of our team.
DAY TO DAY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS WIZARD
- Drive and advocate vision for Magic: The Gathering tabletop competitive gaming by managing the development and execution of all related competitive programs
- Maintain intimate knowledge of the global competitive landscape, including awareness of industry, its trends, competitive intelligence and best practices
- Partner with business, content, and franchise teams to ensure that sponsors and partners are fully integrated into competitive gaming programming
- Define project objectives, schedule, resource requirements, budget, and deliverables in support of the business goals for tabletop Magic competitive gaming.
- Build, manage, and develop, a dedicated competitive gaming team for tabletop Magic, while creating strong, positive relationships with the entire Wizards and Hasbro staff
- Develop and distribute management level reports to ensure that all team members and management are aligned with the competitive gaming strategy
- Evolve the tabletop Magic competitive gaming scene, looking for new competitive structures and innovative ways for competition
Event & Tournament Management
- Lead the team that is responsible for the design and implementation of tabletop Magic competitions, associated content, and live events
- Create meaningful experiences across all levels of competition by developing engaging content and programming that will appeal to existing and new audiences.
- Manage relationships with key partners and talent as it relates to tabletop Magic tournaments, events, and content creation
AM I QUALIFIED? (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
Experience Creating and Casting these Spells:
- 7+ years’ experience in games, entertainment, sports, or related industry, including noteworthy roles in competitive gaming program management experience
- Leadership experience, including team building, mentorship, and exposure to senior levels of management
- Proven experience managing live events, tournaments, and live broadcasts
- Professional experience working with the development and execution of competitive gaming, pro-gaming, ladders, leagues and tournaments
- Knowledge, Abilities and Characteristics of the Ideal Wizard:
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to work with members across the organization
- Understanding of collectible and trading card game tournament structures
- Deep comprehension of various components that make up a competitive gaming program
- Strong knowledge of the competitive gaming and esports industry
- Strategic thinker with ability to manage multiple projects under deadlines and in complex and fluid business environments
Travel Requirements (% of time per year)
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Nearest Secondary Market: Bellevue
Job Segment: Program Manager, Manager, Marketing Manager, Franchise, Supply, Management, Marketing, Operations, Retail
Date: Nov 29, 2018
Requisition ID: 8812