Bring your Brain.......... Principal Game Designer
We'll Supply the Dragon!
Wizards of the Coast is looking for an experienced Principal Game Designer to join our Digital Publishing & Licensing team. We are looking for an accomplished veteran of the interactive entertainment industry, charged with driving the game design across multiple titles, on a variety of WOTC franchises, with both internal and external development partners.
With deep experience in modern game design processes and techniques, the Principal Game Designer has led multiple teams to success through critical insight and imaginative vision. Possessing expert communication, diplomacy, and negotiation skills, this creative lead must adapt their management and communication styles to accommodate multiple challenging situations and personalities, often across multiple cultures.
Reporting to the Creative Director for Digital Publishing, Licensing & Platform, you will work with the other team and discipline leads to define the design vision and execute on that vision with excellence. You will help the overall direction and growth of the organization and champion the value of design among the senior leadership team. The Principal Game Designer delivers world-class game features and mechanics on schedule and within budget. Able to multi-task across multiple projects under production pressures, this person can receive direction -- but more importantly, is able to make strong, self-directed decisions, with a focus on performance and results.
With an unequaled attention to detail, the Principal Game Designer is flexible across multiple genres, intuitively understanding the fundamentals of UX and game design, and able to drive teams towards excellence and innovation. Ultimately, this person is the standard bearer for WOTC’s artistic quality, leading their projects and peers into the next generations of interactive entertainment.
- Advise, direct, and facilitate internal and external teams in development of games, across multiple games.
- Long term relationship management with internal teams and external partners, consistently raising the quality bar for WOTC titles.
- Ability to manage a full spectrum of game designers, across multiple experience levels.
- Cross-functional collaboration and leadership.
Skills & Attributes
- An excellent understanding of the building blocks of content creation and establishing game play standards.
- Able to explain how they work to others.
- Ability to communicate the features and mechanics of a game that is creative and elegant.
- Can identify current or potential content creation problems and provide clear solutions.
- Good foundation knowledge of the WOTC games.
- Great communications – written and verbal.
- A diplomatic and collaborative approach.
- Able to undertake tasks solo or as part of a team.
- The ability to multitask and effectively time manage.
- Flexible and willing to work on a range of different platforms.
- Willing to travel to meet with development partners when required.
- Experience with content creation and game engine tools.
- Candidates can show design work via a portfolio or website.
- 8+ Years of AAA game development experience with a minimum of 3 shipped titles.
- Has successfully completed at least 1 complete development cycle in a Design Director or comparable position.
- In depth knowledge of the game industry best practices, current trends and emerging technologies relevant to game design.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities or requirements of the position.
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Nearest Secondary Market: Bellevue
Job Segment: Game Designer, Supply, Relationship Manager, User Experience, Technology, Operations, Customer Service
Date: Nov 15, 2018
Requisition ID: 8330