Bring your brain…
We’ll supply the dragons!
Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and the world's largest publisher of adventure games, including Magic: The Gathering® Trading Card Game and Dungeons & Dragons® Roleplaying Games has an exciting opportunity for a Design Manager to join our Magic R&D team.
We offer competitive salaries, a great benefits package, and the excitement of working in a creative organization. But the best part of working here is that we think creating products that bring hours of enjoyment to millions around the globe is an inherently cool way to earn a living.
• As passionate about the craft of management as the craft of game design?
• Excited to manage a group of experienced, versatile, game designers involved in a wide array of projects?
• A fluid and flexible leader who is people-centric and nurturing, with the skills to deal with a variety of personalities and situations?
• Comfortable with rapid project generation and evolving requirements?
• Passionate about Magic: The Gathering (or ready to become so!) and excited to join the Magic R&D design group?
• Attuned to the needs and desires of current and potential trading card game players, including casual players, brand-new players, and deeply experienced players?
• Excited about working on a lifestyle game that has been a part of gamers’ lives for many years? Players have been enjoying Magic for 25 years. We’re here to make the next 25 years even better.
If so, we would love to talk to you about an open position we have in Magic R&D for a new Design Manager. The Design Manager manages a team of 5-7 experienced designers with a wide variety of skill sets and backgrounds. These designers both lead and serve on card set design teams, new product design teams, data analysis and other fast-moving projects and products. The Design Manager manages the resourcing and allocation of this group, while engaging and encouraging their development into superlative designers and teammates. The Design Manager also gets to participate in design tasks, working on a variety of projects as their time and interests permit.
In Magic R&D, we believe diversity of experience is fundamental to creating broadly accessible and fun Magic experiences for *all* of our players. We encourage everyone to consider being a part of our team.
DAY TO DAY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS WIZARD
• Engaging and developing the best people – Weekly one-on-ones and regular daily contact with team. Creating and monitoring individual development plans for their people. Actively and directly giving guidance and feedback, and working quickly to ensure any issues or problems with behavior/outcomes get addressed.
• Measuring and improving work – Partnering with appropriate design architects to define standards for quality work and skills; creating and executing measurements for qualitative and quantitative assessments of work and skills. Working with people through one-on-one training, peer training, and seminars to improve work and skills.
• Managing current and new workflow process for team – Assessing current workflow process through participation in work teams. Ensuring optimal performance in workflow, and iterating and improving upon current workflows. Creating new workflows when required for new products and experiences.
• Getting the best people – Ensuring best hiring practices for their team, including tests, interview process, and selection criteria. Ensuring proper introduction and ramp-up for new employees.
• Workload planning – Providing weekly and monthly snapshots to team and to operations on workload for their teams. Partnering with Operations Producer for workload estimates for quarterly, semi-annually, and annual snapshots.
• Future planning and strategy – Working with Operations Director to ensure we have best structure and people for future challenges and opportunities.
• Participating in Design Teams and projects – As time and interests permit, leading and/or serving on various design teams.
• Determines all design teams and design team leads for all set products.
• Determines process for design teams and handoffs to other teams downstream from design.
• Partners with Operations Director to determine overall R&D card and people processes.
AM I QUALIFIED?
The successful candidate must embody the Magic R&D principles:
• We are stewards of Magic
• We are passionate about Magic
• We believe Magic makes a difference
• We focus on growing Magic’s audience
• We believe in discovery, surprise, and strategy
• We listen
• We improve
• We collaborate
• We debate
• We are inclusive and respectful
• We expect greatness
• Office environment, able to work on computer or phone for long periods of time.
Hasbro (NASDAQ: HAS) is a global play and entertainment company committed to Creating the World's Best Play Experiences. From toys and games to television, movies, digital gaming and consumer products, Hasbro offers a variety of ways for audiences to experience its iconic brands, including NERF, MY LITTLE PONY, TRANSFORMERS, PLAY-DOH, MONOPOLY, LITTLEST PET SHOP and MAGIC: THE GATHERING, as well as premier partner brands. Through Hasbro Studios and its film labels, Allspark Pictures and Allspark Animation, the Company is building its brands globally through great storytelling and content on all screens. Hasbro is committed to making the world a better place for children and their families through corporate social responsibility and philanthropy. Hasbro ranked No. 1 on the 2017 100 Best Corporate Citizens list by CR Magazine, and has been named one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies® by Ethisphere Institute for the past six years. Learn more at www.hasbro.com, and follow us on Twitter (@Hasbro & @HasbroNews) and Instagram (@Hasbro).
@ID:186@@Job Category:Creative@@Location:98057@@Employment Type:Regular@