Bring Your Brain….. Director, Game Design
We’ll Supply the Dragons!!!
Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and the world's largest publisher of adventure games, including Magic: The Gathering® Trading Card Game and Dungeons & Dragons® Roleplaying Games has an exciting opportunity for a Design Director to join our Magic R&D team. We offer competitive salaries, a great benefits package, and the excitement of working in a creative organization. But the best part of working here is that we think creating products that bring hours of enjoyment to millions around the globe is an inherently cool way to earn a living.
WHAT IS THIS ROLE ALL ABOUT?
- An experienced and passionate game designer who is as fascinated by culture, organization, and people as about games?
- An experienced and compassionate leader of leaders who cultivates high-performing teams?
- Excited to direct a fantastic game design group with incredible people and culture…and continue to improve it?
- Comfortable with directing the people, organization, and culture side of a game design studio without directing the game design?
- Passionate about questions such as, “How do you measure great design?” and “How do you measure great designers?”
- Experienced in creating a culture of excellent game design, comprised of vision and collaboration and impact?
- A fluid and flexible director who is people-centric and nurturing, with a robust toolbox of leadership skills to deal with a wide variety of people and situations?
- Excited about working on a lifestyle game that has been a part of gamers’ lives for 25 years, and to make it a part of their lives for 25 more?
- Excited to lead, follow, serve, and listen, listen, listen in equal parts?
Then we have a fantastic opportunity for you to consider. We’re looking for a Design Director for the Magic R&D design groups. You will collaborate with the senior director in Magic R&D who is leading the game vision, allowing you to focus on having the best people, culture, and organization in an already high-performing group. You will be directing a small group of other leaders who directly manage the various Magic R&D design teams as we work on Magic and other things.
In Magic R&D, we believe diversity of experience is fundamental to creating accessible and fun Magic experiences for *all* of our players. We encourage everyone to consider being a part of our team.
DAY TO DAY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS WIZARD
- Hiring and developing people – Working with managers and peers to identify present and future needs for hiring. Working with managers to make sure each team conducts the best hiring practices, including tests, interview process, and selection criteria. Working with managers on development plans for each designer.
- Partner with Senior Design Director – collaborate with the senior design director to help implement their content/design vision, and to make sure we’re executing correctly and awesomely.
- Measuring and improving work – Partnering with peers and managers and designers to define standards for quality work and skills; creating and executing measurements for qualitative and quantitative assessments of work and skills. Working with managers to create opportunities for one-on-one training, peer training, and seminars to improve work and skills. Work with managers and designers to develop checklists for ensuring set quality.
- Improving workflow process for team – Work with managers and designers to assess current workflow process. Help managers ensure optimal performance in workflow, and iterating and improving upon current workflows. Work with managers to create new workflows when required for new products and experiences.
- Workload planning – Work with Operations Director and managers to provide planning window on workload for short-term and long-term planning.
- Future planning and strategy – Collaborating with Operations Director to ensure we have best structure and people for future opportunities.
- Participating in Design Teams and projects – As time and interests permit, participating on various design teams.”
AM I QUALIFIED? (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
Knowledge, Abilities and Characteristics of the Ideal Wizard:
The successful candidate must embody the Magic R&D principles –
- We are stewards of Magic
- We are passionate about Magic
- We believe Magic makes a difference
- We focus on growing Magic’s audience
- We believe in discovery, surprise, and strategy.
- We listen.
- We improve.
- We collaborate.
- We debate.
- We are inclusive and respectful.
- We expect greatness.
Office environment, able to work on computer or phone for long periods of time.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.