For decades, Wizards of the Coast has connected people around the world through play and imagination, with core games that have defined their genres - Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons®. We want to offer more ways to connect and play as the company grows. And that’s where you come in.
WHAT IS THIS ROLE ALL ABOUT?
Wizards of the Coast is looking for an exceptional data scientist to be the voice of data and analytics in the design and live operations of our products. You will partner with game designers, economists, and strategic leadership to analyze complex problems and recommend data-informed solutions. You will combine your analytical and statistical skills with your love of games to make recommendations and identify opportunities that make our games better for our players and for Wizards.
What will you be doing?
- Identify Opportunities – At Wizards, we are always striving to make our products. You will use your genius at data modeling and your strong passion for games to identify ways in which we can improve our products. You will be the “voice of the data” in identifying where we can be doing better and in quantifying the potential impact.
- Make Actionable Recommendations – You will not be satisfied with uncovering areas for improvements; you will be an active participant in generating ideas and making recommendations. Your knowledge of game design best practices will supplement your analysis to yield actionable recommendations that are feasible and consistent with Wizard’s core values.
- Develop Collaborative Partnerships – Analysis only has impact through action and implementation. You will be an exceptional collaborator and partner with our stakeholders. Your flawless execution and effective communication will earn the trust of the game teams and executives, and, in return, they will look to you for models that predict optimal outcomes.
Delve Deep into the Meta – To a lay person, you practice arcane arts. They might not understand your methods, but they appreciate the results. You turn mounds of data into gold.
- Build Analytic Systems – You don’t just look at data, you build complex functions that directly improve the player’s experience. Your models are turned into game features within our products, be it matchmaking, recommendation systems, or customized play experiences.
What would make you a great fit?
- 2 years of work experience in data science with a gaming company
- Proficiency in SQL language (Postgres, TSQL, etc.) and other analytic programming languages
- Ph.D. in a quantitative discipline (e.g., statistics, economics, computational biology, computer science, mathematics, physics, etc.)
- Knowledge of and passion for games, including Magic: The Gathering
- Applied experience in building models into live game systems
What we are Offering you?
- The most exciting time to join Wizards of the Coast in its 25-year history
- Meaningful work on challenging projects that deliver value to the entire company
- A team of professionals who look forward to collaborating with you
- A technical conference of your choosing (within budget) each year
- 5 weeks of PTO with an additional week off between Christmas and New Years
INTERESTED IN LEARNING MORE ABOUT THE TEAM?
We are a mix of data analysts and scientists from all walks of life. We’ve worked previously at Activision, ArenaNet, Facebook, King and Jam City and had professional careers in economics, physics, and marketing prior to joining the gaming industry. We have academic publications as well as presentations at conferences such as GDC and Gaming Analytics Summit. We are defined by our common principles:
- We are stewards of facts
- We are passionate about games
- We believe solid analysis leads to better decisions
- We listen and learn
- We are inclusive and respectful
- We expect greatness
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Nearest Secondary Market: Bellevue
Job Segment: Database, Scientific, Scientist, Social Media, Computer Science, Engineering, Technology, Science, Marketing
Date: Feb 5, 2019
Requisition ID: 9977