Position is a 12 month Contractor Role
WHAT IS THIS ROLE ALL ABOUT?
In the role of Associate Magic R&D Editor, you will be charged with defending packaging, card sets, and other collateral assets from the forces of bad grammar, graphical error, substandard card templating, and factual inaccuracy. Skilled editors with a passion for Magic: The Gathering are encouraged to apply.
DAY TO DAY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS WIZARD
- Ensure that all text elements of projects meet Magic’s quality standards for templating, grammar, punctuation, factual accuracy, clarity, audience, tone, art/text consistency, and layout.
- Review and approve proofs for print.
- Facilitate communication between writers and other stakeholders to define project goals and content. Perform significant developmental editing.
- Coordinate with production to ensure that product specifications are accurately represented in external- and internal-facing documents.
- Manage multiple project timelines simultaneously.
AM I QUALIFIED? (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Experience Creating and Casting these Spells:
- Experience as a paid copy editor or technical writer required.
- One or more years of experience playing Magic: The Gathering required.
- Six months experience as a certified DCI judge preferred.
Knowledge, Abilities, and Characteristics of the Ideal Wizard:
- Strong proofreading skills
- Strong knowledge of current Magic cards and rules
- Ability to convey complex subject matter clearly and precisely
- Attention to detail, flexibility, and good multitasking skills
- Proficient working knowledge of MS Office applications (particularly Word and Excel) and Adobe Acrobat
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of people
- Strong knowledge of historical Magic cards and rules
- Familiarity with tournament-level Magic play
- Familiarity with proofreading product packaging
- Working knowledge of Adobe InDesign
- Familiarity with localization issues
Education and Training:
- Four-year college degree preferred.
- Publishing, communications, English, or related coursework preferred. Engineering or the sciences are also desirable if taken in conjunction with writing-intensive coursework.
- Office environment; must be able to work on a computer for long periods of time.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.