Sr. UX Designer
Location: WA - Renton
Employment Type: Regular
Job Category: WOTC - Game Development
Bring Your Brain…..
We’ll Supply the Dragons!!
Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and the world's largest publisher of adventure games, including Magic: The Gathering® Trading Card Game and Dungeons & Dragons® Roleplaying Games has an exciting opportunity for a Sr. UX Designer to join our Digital Game Development team.
We offer competitive salaries, a great benefits package, and the excitement of working in a creative organization. But the best part of working here is that we think creating products that bring hours of enjoyment to millions around the globe is an inherently cool way to earn a living.
WHAT IS THIS ROLE ALL ABOUT?
Wizards is looking for a talented user interface visual designer to help us create the next great Wizards of the Coast game. The user interface is the communication medium through which the player talks to the game, and the best game experiences involve interfaces that are beautiful, appropriate, and clear about all the information going to and coming from the player. We’re looking for an artist who can work with UX designers to produce visually graceful and highly usable interfaces for current and future digital projects: this artist brings strong illustration and painting skills to bear on the task of producing evocative and immersive visual designs.
DAY TO DAY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS WIZARD
• Work with designers, engineers, and other members of the scrum team to gather, clarify, and visualize UI and UX requirements for everything from individual features to entire game style guides.
• Create original 2D, VFX, and UI animation assets in Unity that are self-evident, feels amazing to use, and beautiful to see hundreds of times.
• Work with the Art Director to own the vision for the UI and adapt it to both the needs of development iteration and live game feature addition and change.
• Optimize UI assets and implementation as needed for both performance and platform specialization.
• Play the game frequently to find and constantly refine the player UX pain points until the game’s user experience flows smoothly and beautifully from action to action.
• Mentor other artists in the techniques and best practices of UI visualization so that the entire art team gains in skill and appreciation for the discipline.
Who Are the Other Wizards, Teams and Partners You Will Work With?
• Senior Creative Art Director
• Creative Director
• Game Designers
• Software Developers
AM I QUALIFIED?
Experience Creating and Casting these Spells:
• 7+ years as UI Artist on AAA or comparable games
• 7+ years experience and proficiency with the Adobe Creative Suite, with an emphasis on Photoshop and Illustrator
• 7+ years experience with Axure or similar
• 2+ Shipped titles on at least two major platforms
• Experience in balancing conflicting priorities of visual quality, gameplay priorities, and development time, in producing the best results for the project
• Mobile experience a plus
Knowledge, Abilities and Characteristics of the Ideal Wizard:
• Exceptional drawing and painting skills, with strong ability for realistic rendering
• Passion for gaming and game development
• Strong drive for artistic growth and maintaining currency with evolving technology
• Impressive portfolio featuring a variety of user interfaces, with an emphasis on illustrative creative work
• Strengths include drawing and painting, emphasizing realism and precise rendering
• Able to expand on the base visual language of the game while maintaining a consistent visual aesthetic
• Self-motivating and excellent time management
• Willingness to iterate over designs, polishing and redoing work, to ship the best, most tested solutions
• Exceptional problem solving skills in devising visual solutions for design challenges
• Fundamental understanding of user-centered design, and how it relates to visual asset production
• Good communication and teamwork skills
Education and Training:
• Bachelor's Degree preferred or commensurate work experience
Time Expected to Reach Full Performance Level in Position:
• 2 months
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
For more information about careers at Hasbro become a fan on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and join our careers group on LinkedIn.
Business Unit: Wizards of the Coast