Sr. Technical Artist
Location: WA - Renton
Employment Type: Regular
Job Category: WOTC - Game Development
Bring Your Brain.....
We'll Supply the Dragons!!
Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and the world's largest publisher of adventure games, including Magic: The Gathering® Trading Card Game and Dungeons & Dragons® Roleplaying Games has an exciting opportunity for a Sr. Technical Artist to join our team.
We offer competitive salaries, a great benefits package, and the excitement of working in a creative organization. But the best part of working here is that we think creating products that bring hours of enjoyment to millions around the globe is an inherently cool way to earn a living.
WHAT IS THIS ROLE ALL ABOUT?
As a Sr. Technical Artist, you’ll be a key member of Wizards of the Coast’s digital games group, working with Unity3D artists and developers to drive design and creation of the art pipeline tools and processes. You want to make awesome games, and you take pride in making Unity jump through hoops and do things most folks didn’t think it could do. You’re passionate about excellence, and you want to be part of a team that is, as well. This is a chance to use your extensive Unity3D experience to be part of the ultimate digital expression of Magic the Gathering.
DAY TO DAY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS WIZARD
• Work with the Art Director and project developers to define asset pipelines and requirements.
• Audit and curate plugins, and create tools, that smooth out workflow issues and increase development efficiency.
• Use Unity3D expertise to help artists prove out the best technical implementations for new visual features.
• Communicate across disciplines as both the technical liaison for art, and the artistic voice for engineering.
• Assist the art team by defining optimization standards, and regularly assessing project performance metrics
Who Are the Other Wizards, Teams and Partners You Will Work With?
• Senior Creative Art Director
• Lead Unity Engineer
• Asset performance and memory requirements to achieve acceptable gameplay on all approved systems and platforms. This includes polygon and texture budgets, draw call limits, and other performance-based metrics.
AM I QUALIFIED?
Experience Creating and Casting these Spells:
• 4+ years experience as a professional game developer.
• One or more shipped Unity3D titles in a technical artist role.
• Competency in shader programming or shader creation tools such as ShaderForge.
• Practical experience with the Mecanim, Shuriken, AssetDatabase, Importer, and other UnityEditor APIs.
• Strong C# scripting.
• Passion for collaborating with artists to understand and support their work.
• Proactive mindset for maintaining currency with industry trends, and a drive to not be satisfied with the status quo.
• A sharing, team-focused attitude, willing to both learn and teach, to make the project, the team, and yourself better and better.
• Experience with Perforce and the source control workflow in Unity.
• Excellent communication skills.
Knowledge, Abilities and Characteristics of the Ideal Wizard:
• Comprehensive knowledge of 3D modeling and texturing tools, especially 3DS Max/Maya and Adobe Creative Suite.
• A passion for games in general, and for Magic the Gathering, the first and best TCG, in particular.
• Knowledge of rendering pipelines in Unity3D is a plus.
• Production Art or VFX skills are a plus.
Education and Training:
• No degrees required
Time Expected to Reach Full Performance Level in Position:
• 2 Months
• Office environment, able to work on computer for long periods of time.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
For more information about careers at Hasbro become a fan on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and join our careers group on LinkedIn.
Business Unit: Wizards of the Coast