Sr. Narrative Designer
Location: WA - Renton
Employment Type: Regular
Job Category: WOTC - Creative
Bring Your Brain…..
We’ll Supply the Dragons!!!
Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and the world's largest publisher of adventure games, including Magic: The Gathering® Trading Card Game and Dungeons & Dragons® Roleplaying Games has an exciting opportunity for a Sr. Narrative Designer to join our Magic Brand Marketing team.
We offer competitive salaries, a great benefits package, and the excitement of working in a creative organization. But the best part of working here is that we think creating products that bring hours of enjoyment to millions around the globe is an inherently cool way to earn a living.
WHAT IS THIS ROLE ALL ABOUT?
Wordplay beyond gameplay – come join our team as Sr. Narrative Designer for our franchise brand, Magic: The Gathering. In this role, you will be an important part of the team tasked with crafting the Creative Guides that establish the core vision for Magic Creative outside of the TCG. You will be a key partner for Magic’s Franchise Creative Director and be responsible for codifying character voice, worlds, and high level IP direction for partners both internal and external. You will also be called on to generate characters, plots, dialogue and creative text when unique needs arise.
In addition to personally providing text for Creative Guides, you will be responsible for providing feedback and direction to other Creatives to ensure written quality within all Magic brand expressions. You will review plots, dialogue and creative text from partners both internal and external and collaborate with them to help every new expression of Magic be the best that it possibly can.
DAY TO DAY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS WIZARD
• Contribute to establishing the core creative vision for Magic’s IP:
• Work collaboratively to establish Magic’s core creative center, including creating new characters, storylines and world building content when unique needs and opportunities arise.
• Translate the core creative vision into words, crafting the text elements of creative guides:
• Under the direction of the Magic Franchise Creative Director, and in collaboration with the Brand Creative Team, flavorfully codify Magic’s characters, Planes and IP values for partners both internal and external.
• Directly responsible for all text elements of brand creative guides Provide feedback and iterate on text and story elements created by teams throughout Wizards of the Coast, Hasbro, and our external partners:
• Review story lines, dialogue and creative text from external partners and give them feedback to help ensure the quality and success of their project and ensure the needs and values of the Magic IP.
• Be the reliable resource for internal story partners to be kept aware of the work of external partners.
Who Are the Other Wizards, Teams and Partners You Will Work With?
• Creative Teams
• Business Owners (Licensing Brand Managers and Digital Producers)
• Brand Copywriters
• This position is empowered to make detail-level decisions on Magic’s creative aspects under the overall direction of the Franchise Creative Lead, such as:
• What are the truly core aspects and powers of existing and new characters?
• What is the best way to codify that in writing for new partners?
• What are the immutable aspects of our Planes? Likewise, how is that best captured and communicated?
• When each new IP expression needs to create new content, or deviate from cannon, how far is too far?
• When and how do to deliver feedback to a creative partner who is transgressing against IP values, in a way that empassions them towards our desired results
AM I QUALIFIED?
Experience Creating and Casting these Spells:
• 5+ years of professional writing experience or an adjacent game design discipline.
• Experience with gaming narratives and/or multi-media storytelling preferred
• Existing knowledge of Magic’s worlds and characters (Planes and Planeswalkers) is strongly preferred.
Knowledge, Abilities and Characteristics of the Ideal Wizard:
• Excellent creative writing skills
• Proven ability to write inspiring text explaining fictional worlds and/or characters
• Strong collaborator who has a well-developed sense of great stories and characters, but loves working with other creative professionals to help bring those stories and characters to life.
• Comfortable playing in other people’s sandboxes, especially with a well-established property
• Experienced and comfortable with various forms of storytelling media including long-form and short-form fiction, comics, games, and movies.
• Strong instincts not only for what entertainment resonates with audiences of today, but what will empassion them tomorrow.
• Candid yet inspiring communicator.
• Knows and appreciates where Magic IP has been, but is passionate about where it is going!
• The successful candidate must embody the Magic Brand Creative Team principle
• Magic is a meaningful part of the lives it reaches.
• Magic has unlimited potential as a growing IP.
• It is our responsibility to be knowledgeable, accessible and compelling.
• Our results are our ultimate impact.
• An open and enthusiastic culture enables great results.
Education and Training:
• Bachelor’s Degree in English, Creative Writing, or Journalism, or commensurate work experience.
Time Expected to Reach Full Performance Level in Position:
• 6 Months
• Office environment, able to work on computer or phone for long periods of time.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
For more information about careers at Hasbro become a fan on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and join our careers group on LinkedIn.
Business Unit: Wizards of the Coast