Sr. Franchise Art Director
Location: WA - Renton
Employment Type: Regular
Job Category: WOTC - Marketing, Brand & Community Management
Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and the world's largest publisher of adventure games, including Magic: The Gathering® Trading Card Game and Dungeons & Dragons® Roleplaying Games has an exciting opportunity for a Sr. Art Director for our franchise brand, Magic: The Gathering.
We offer competitive salaries, a great benefits package, and the excitement of working in a creative organization. But the best part of working here is that we think creating products that bring hours of enjoyment to millions around the globe is an inherently cool way to earn a living.
WHAT IS THIS ROLE ALL ABOUT?
In this role, you will be an important part of the team tasked with crafting the Creative Guides that establish the core vision for Magic Creative outside of the TCG. You will be a key partner for Magic’s Franchise Creative Director and be responsible for codifying world and character style guides and high level IP direction for partners both internal and external. You will also be called on to commission and art direct new visual assets (character reference and orthographics, for example) as needs arise.
In addition to personally providing visual assets and Art Direction for Creative Guides, you will be responsible for providing feedback and direction to other Creatives to ensure visual quality and tone within all Magic brand expressions such as new games, consumer products, media and entertainment. You will review and give feedback on concept art, final 2D and 3D assets, storyboards, graphic design, animation, VFX, and video from partners both internal and external and collaborate with them to help every new expression of Magic be the best that it possibly can.
DAY TO DAY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS WIZARD
• Work with the Magic Franchise Creative Director to codify Magic’s characters, Planes, and IP values for partners both internal and external.
• Commission new illustration assets as necessary to create Creative Guides.
• Oversee graphic design of new Creative Guides.
• Provide feedback and iterate on visual assets created by teams throughout Wizards of the Coast, Hasbro, and our external partners.
• Review illustrated, modeled, and animated assets from external partners and give them feedback to help ensure the quality and success of their project and ensure the needs and values of the Magic IP.
• Be the reliable resource for internal partners to be kept aware of the work of external partners.
• Contribute to establishing the core creative vision for Magic’s IP
• Work collaboratively to establish Magic’s core creative center, including creating new characters, creatures, environments and worldbuilding content when unique needs and opportunities arise.
AM I QUALIFIED?
Experience Creating and Casting these Spells:
• 5+ years of professional Art Direction experience or an adjacent game design discipline.
• Experience commissioning fantasy, superhero, and/or sci-fi illustration
• Experience on digital games and/or multi-media visual storytelling preferred
• Existing knowledge of Magic’s worlds and characters (Planes and Planeswalkers) is strongly preferred.
Knowledge, Abilities and Characteristics of the Ideal Wizard:
• Excellent skills as a commissioning Art Director
• Proven ability in either illustration, graphic design, or digital game development
• Strong collaborator who has a well-developed ability to create powerful visuals, but loves working with other creative professionals to help bring those visuals to life.
• Comfortable playing in other people’s sandboxes, especially with a well-established property
• Experienced and comfortable with various forms of visual storytelling media including comics, games, and movies.
• Strong instincts not only for what entertainment resonates with audiences of today, but what will impassion them tomorrow.
• Candid yet inspiring communicator.
• Knows and appreciates where Magic IP has been, but is passionate about where it is going!
The successful candidate must embody the Magic Brand Creative Team principles:
• Magic is a meaningful part of the lives it reaches.
• Magic has unlimited potential as a growing IP.
• It is our responsibility to be knowledgeable, accessible and compelling.
• Our results are our ultimate impact.
• An open and enthusiastic culture enables great results.
• Office environment, able to work on computer or phone for long periods of time.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
For more information about careers at Hasbro become a fan on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and join our careers group on LinkedIn.
Business Unit: Wizards of the Coast