Software Engineering Manager
Location: WA - Renton
Employment Type: Regular
Job Category: WOTC - Technology
Bring Your Brain…..
We’ll Supply the Dragons!!!
Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and the world's largest publisher of adventure games, including Magic: The Gathering® Trading Card Game and Dungeons & Dragons® Roleplaying Games has an exciting opportunity for a Software Engineering Manager to join our Live Operations team.
We offer competitive salaries, a great benefits package, and the excitement of working in a creative organization. But the best part of working here is that we think creating products that bring hours of enjoyment to millions around the globe is an inherently cool way to earn a living.
WHAT IS THIS ROLE ALL ABOUT? (POSITION PURPOSE)
This leadership position is responsible for all aspect of development for Live Operations which includes customer relations and product ownership for tabletop, Wizards web properties and enterprise tools. It provides oversight in the direction and management of software design development, integration, and build teams working on diverse engineering projects. The vision is to run and maintain world-class products and services for Wizards games, applications and web. This portfolio of products are key services utilized by millions of Magic: The Gathering players around the world.
These services are built using a diverse list of technologies from micro-services built on the Microsoft .Net stack to Drupal based web services. The technology stack includes a mix of off-the-shelf 3rd party solutions, integrated components, and custom technology.
DAY TO DAY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS WIZARD
• Maintain the designs for all software engineering implementation, delivery, maintenance, and quality engineering for Live Operations Development relevant applications and component integrations. Ensure that high-quality, performant integrations and code are developed in support of product and service standards, timelines, and resource/budgets using best of breed approaches.
• Ensure the Software Engineering teams for Live Operations Development are properly staffed and working towards a cohesive product roadmap that meets the requirements and quality standards of the product and service roadmap
• Managing and mentoring a diverse team including engineering leads, principals, software engineers including a mix of full time and managed services to drive scale, performance, and availability of delivered services and applications
• Give guidance and oversight regarding implementation of solutions to complex application, micro-services, and infrastructure challenges
• Designs long-term strategy for software engineering excellence and quality engineering systems, processes, and standards in support of business priorities and execution. Influencing technical direction through partnerships and relationships across Wizards.
• Ensure resources are appropriately allocated to support Live Operations Development. Determines appropriate sourcing (i.e., outsource, in-source), with the VMO, for development needs and negotiates/establishes favorable deal terms based on an appropriate budget
• Negotiates with senior leadership on delivery time, budget, and functionality trade-offs. Ensures Live Operations Development is appropriately aligned and leverages the technology capabilities of Hasbro IT and other organizations where appropriate
• Responsible for building and retaining a high performing technical team capable of maximum flexibility in a rapidly changing technical environment
AM I QUALIFIED? (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
Experience Creating and Casting these Spells:
• 12+ years related experience taking a leading role in building applications, API’s, Web interfaces and SDK’s, data services, complex game systems, and client support services that have been successfully delivered to customers
• 12+ years of experience in data-driven and quality-driven development practices – developing and optimizing client and server performance, as well as re-evaluating priorities based on analytics and performance data – reporting on key operational and performance metrics.
• 12+ years of experience in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between, to include 3+ years of experience with distributed computing
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life-cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• 7+ years managing high performing, cross functional teams
Knowledge, Abilities and Characteristics of the Ideal Wizard:
• Proven development management experience with teams delivering software on high-scale, high availability production environments in on-premises and cloud configurations (public, private, and hybrid)
• Expert understanding of the technical platforms and applications, SDLC and development best practices required
• Strong ability to communicate effectively across a spectrum of Business, Creative, and Technology personnel at all levels of the organization
• Exceptional collaboration and communication facilitation skills are required to manage through the often opposing demands put on systems design, development, and operations from a time, cost, scope, and quality perspective
• Proven ability to achieve results, make quality decisions, build relationships, drive success with people and adapt and learn
• Understanding of micro-services approach to architecture and software development
• First-hand experience in process of designing & developing high-scale micro-services (digital gaming preferred)
• Foundational knowledge of mobile and web application development & platforms
• Knowledge of Agile, SCRUM, DevOps, Automation, and Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery techniques
• Ability to effectively communicate complex technical concepts to business and senior executives across a wide-variety of knowledge domains
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Education and Training:
• BA/BS degree required; MS desired or equivalent year-for-year work experience
• Office environment, able to work on computer or phone for long periods of time.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
For more information about careers at Hasbro become a fan on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and join our careers group on LinkedIn.
Business Unit: Wizards of the Coast