Software Developer, Rules Engine
Location: WA - Renton
Employment Type: Regular
Job Category: WOTC - Game Development
Bring Your Brain…..
We’ll Supply the Dragons!!!
Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and the world's largest publisher of adventure games, including Magic: The Gathering® Trading Card Game and Dungeons & Dragons® Roleplaying Games has an exciting opportunity for a Software Developer, Rules Engine to join our Magic Digital team.
We offer competitive salaries, a great benefits package, and the excitement of working in a creative organization. But the best part of working here is that we think creating products that bring hours of enjoyment to millions around the globe is an inherently cool way to earn a living.
WHAT IS THIS ROLE ALL ABOUT?
This role is responsible for implementing new cards and mechanics for the rules engine for Magic Digital. You will be working in a highly collaborative agile environment, with agency to decide how you and your team will distribute work for new sets.
DAY TO DAY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS WIZARD
• Writing elegant code that implements the comprehensive rules of Magic in an expert system.
• Expanding functionality of a language parser to comprehend new card designs and behaviors.
• Creating unit tests to assert the validity of code.
• Fixing rules engine bugs detected by Quality Assurance.
• Code reviewing peers.
• Documenting own code.
• Providing reasonable estimates of time required to complete vision and scope goals outlined by Product Owner.
• The problem space of Magic rules is difficult. This wizard must have persist, undying is even better!
AM I QUALIFIED?
Experience Creating and Casting these Spells:
• Expert understanding of Magic: The Gathering card game rules.
• 3+ years of object-oriented design experience
• 3+ years working with C++ and/or Python
Characteristics of the Ideal Wizard:
• Knowledge and Passion for Magic: The Gathering
• Interest in linguistics and the English language
• Experience writing parsers and/or compilers
• Experience in first order logic
• Game development experience
• Determination to resolve technical problems
• Comfort with communicating and asking for help when blocked
• Troubleshooting skills
• Familiarity / understanding of Magic: The Gathering Online
Education and Training:
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or commensurate work experience.
Time Expected to Reach Full Performance Level in Position:
• 6 months
• Office environment, able to work on computer or phone for long periods of time.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
Job Function: Digital Game Development
For more information about careers at Hasbro become a fan on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and join our careers group on LinkedIn.
Business Unit: Wizards of the Coast