Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and the world's largest publisher of adventure games, including Magic: The Gathering® Trading Card Game and Dungeons & Dragons® Roleplaying Games has an exciting opportunity for a Software Developer to join our MAGIC DIGITAL team.
If you’re the one who explains the rules in your board game group…
If you think about optimal path algorithms while going for a run…
If you like engineering, science, math, and golems…
We’d like to meet you!
WHAT IS THIS ROLE ALL ABOUT?
We implement game mechanics and game-flow features for Magic: the Gathering Arena. In this role you’ll collaborate frequently with game designers and front-end developers to deliver a snappy and engaging digital experience, but with all the strategy of authentic Magic. Some problems you’d get to tackle include:
- Improving algorithms for predictive mana payment, turn passing, and targeting.
- Determining what game state and ability data to send to the front-end client.
- Optimizing core rules to improve performance and consistency.
- Implementing that super awesome upcoming creature. You know, the one with all the teeth.
DAY TO DAY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS WIZARD
- Programming the comprehensive rules of Magic. All of them. There’s a lot.
- Expanding the scope of our natural language parser to understand new card text.
- Adding functionality and content to our automated testing framework.
- Crafting tools to help your fellow developers, artists, designers, and pyromancers.
- Gathering metrics and making performance improvements to our rules engine.
- Investigating and fixing live bugs to support our game.
- Code reviewing, brainstorming, and helping our organization grow.
AM I QUALIFIED?
- 3+ years of object-oriented design experience.
- 3+ years working with C++ and/or Python.
- 3+ years designing and imple menting gameplay systems
Characteristics of the Ideal Wizard:
- Has game development experience, and is passionate about games.
- Revels in resolving technical problems.
- Likes collaborating on feature implementation.
- Is interested in parsers, compilers, and linguistics.
- Enjoys digital card games and Magic: The Gathering.
- Office environment, able to work on computer or phone for long periods of time.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.