The Senior Communications Manager is a public relations and messaging expert who will help build excitement for Magic: The Gathering Arena and future digital games through a steady drumbeat of compelling coverage in top-tier outlets. This person will help make our most exciting new initiatives a success by providing leadership to develop and execute effective PR strategies and bring new methods and ways of thinking to the many team members they will collaborate with. The ideal candidate has a track record of generating great press coverage for video games; a passion for strategy games and fan communities; and is curious, flexible and collaborative when facing challenges and opportunities alike.
The Magic Communications team strives to be that knowledgeable and welcoming gaming friend who keeps Magic fresh and fun for everyone. We make sure current fans around the world are engaged and informed about what’s going on in Magic, and we welcome new fans to the party by introducing them to new experiences and people.
DAY TO DAY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS WIZARD
- Develop strategies to generate accurate, positive earned media placements for Magic digital games and esports through thorough research, flexible planning and creative thinking. Develop metrics to measure success and impact and adjust strategy and tactics based on that data as needed.
- Collaborate with PR firm and colleagues to create press releases, talking points, FAQs and messaging used in multiple communications venues.
- Advise executives and creators on varied complex and critical decisions that have significant impact and prepare and colleagues for interviews and appearances.
- Plan for and provide counsel to teams during crisis situations and lead crisis response.
- 6+ years demonstrated media relations within the gaming industry.
- Demonstrable results in creating and executing effective media relations strategies.
- Proven ability to coordinate and align multiple internal and external stakeholders.
- Contacts and relationships with influencers and press in the gaming industry.
- Experience managing complex, high stakes issues and crisis situations, including sudden unexpected opportunities as well as problems.
- Familiarity with being a part of and working with dedicated, passionate fan communities.
- Comfort collaborating with and counseling senior-level leadership on crucial decisions and issues.
- Experience drafting, editing and maintaining press materials and messaging used in multiple communications channels.
Education and Training:
- 4-year college degree or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of Magic: The Gathering preferred.
- Agency experience a plus.
Physical Requirements: Office environment, able to work on a computer for long periods of time.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.