Principal Product Designer
Location: WA - Renton
Employment Type: Regular
Job Category: Product Development
Bring Your Brain…..
We’ll Supply the Dragons!!!
Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and the world's largest publisher of adventure games, including Magic: The Gathering® Trading Card Game and Dungeons & Dragons® Roleplaying Games has an exciting opportunity for a Principal Product Designer to join our Magic R&D team.
We offer competitive salaries, a great benefits package, and the excitement of working in a creative organization. But the best part of working here is that we think creating products that bring hours of enjoyment to millions around the globe is an inherently cool way to earn a living.
WHAT IS THIS ROLE ALL ABOUT?
• Fluid and flexible, with well-developed skills in people-centric and nurturing leadership?
• Comfortable and committed to managing a high-talent, high-experience team where excellence is the expectation?
• High-energy and high-engagement, comfortable with overseeing and directing many different projects at once?
• Someone who enjoys actively communicating and building connections within a matrixed organization? Comfortable with building relationships and shared purpose with marketing and brand groups?
• Passionate about Magic: The Gathering (or will become so) and want to be a part of the Magic: The Gathering product design team?
Then we would love to talk to you about an open position we have in Magic R&D for the Principal Product Designer.
The Principal Product Designer oversees the R&D design effort for 50% of Magic’s worldwide revenues. The Principal Product Designer is responsible for aligning strategy for multiple R&D design teams and quality control teams to deliver industry-leading products and experiences. This person will arbitrate design conflicts with the goal of delivering the best products and experiences for the set. Beyond R&D, the Principal Product Designer will incorporate the needs of other departments into the R&D design process. When conflict or uncertainty arises, the Principal Product Designer will arbitrate a solution between the teams and lead execution of necessary changes.
DAY TO DAY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS WIZARD
• Manage all aspects of a Magic block or specialty product, including product and player experience, at the company level from inception planning and design, into release and retrospective. Unify strategic direction with input from multiple executive sources. Arbitrate design and production conflicts between R&D design teams, between R&D design and quality control, and between R&D and other departments. Communicate decisions, strategies, and options to all areas of the company. Deliver final design document.
• Support the Director to develop strategic direction for block environments including game design, worldbuilding, product development, and marketing connections for both face-to-face and digital gaming to deliver positive gaming experiences for players of all levels. Direct team leads managing these processes.
• Participate in all aspects of Magic product design and user experience brand strategy; provide counsel to Director and Vice President R&D. Support the Director to develop strategic direction for individual supplemental product including product design and marketing connections for both face-to-face and digital gaming to grow the Magic brand. Direct team leads managing these processes.
• Foster positive team relationships with Brand Marketing, Organized Play, Digital Game Development, CAPS, PMO, and Sales team. Collaborate in design of campaigns, products, and play experiences and the execution of business deliverables to ensure on-time, on-budget delivery at highest quality. Evangelize strategy to provide PMO context for tactics and deliverables.
• Partner with Operations Director, Design Architects, managers, and Director to allocate R&D design resources to all projects.
AM I QUALIFIED?
Experience Creating and Casting these Spells:
• 2 years of experience in the gaming industry preferred
• 1 year of team management experience
• 4 years of experience in general business environment with advancing responsibilities.
Knowledge, Abilities and Characteristics of the Ideal Wizard:
• Ability to play Magic at the Grand Prix level. In depth knowledge of Magic rules, environments, characters, worlds, and customer segments.
• Creative, brand centric, customer focused thinking coupled with reasoned judgment. Champion risk-taking and innovation while applying reasoned judgment
• Ability to create strategic and tactical plans in a highly complex, continually changing environment to make delivering results a top priority without compromising team harmony. Ability to manage multiple large projects simultaneously.
• Understanding of Wizards business practices, P&L, and sales strategies and deliverables.
• Ability to build strong partnership inside and outside of R&D. Ability to inspire trust through personal accountability. Display passion and diplomacy.
• Strong communication skills.
• Provides leadership to multiple R&D design teams and director-level staff who manage the Magic products and experiences.
Education and Training:
• College degree highly preferred, 10+ years senior management experience in a gaming environment acceptable
Time Expected to Reach Full Performance Level in Position:
• 12 months
• Office environment, able to work on computer or phone for long periods of time.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
For more information about careers at Hasbro become a fan on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and join our careers group on LinkedIn.
Business Unit: Wizards of the Coast