Bring Your Brain….. Principal Game Design Economist
We’ll Supply the Dragons!!!
Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and the world's largest publisher of adventure games, including Magic: The Gathering® Trading Card Game and Dungeons & Dragons® Roleplaying Games has an exciting opportunity for a Principal Game Design Economist to join our Magic R&D team.We offer competitive salaries, a great benefits package, and the excitement of working in a creative organization. But the best part of working here is that we think creating products that bring hours of enjoyment to millions around the globe is an inherently cool way to earn a living.
WHAT IS THIS ROLE ALL ABOUT?
The Game Design Economist is a major contributor to helping R&D explore, define, and help solve numerous game design problems that reside at the intersections of design and psychology, of business opportunities and market research, the types of questions that are often at the heart of our most complex problems. The Game Design Economist is part designer, part economist, part psychologist – curious, driven to make real impacts in our design and business, equally motivated to use data to illuminate the world *and* tell compelling stories about those insights to help shape better designs and better outcomes.
DAY TO DAY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS WIZARD
- Are you captivated by complex systems that reside at the intersection of game design, player psychology, economics, and market research?
- Do you have skill and experience in building tools and frameworks to model, solve, and discuss these types of problems?
- Are you experienced with analyzing TCG or digital object economies, and interested in applying that experience to physical game economies?
- Are you comfortable with working on data-sparse problems, using multiple models, theories, and experiments to drive analysis, while also helping to focus additional data-gathering activities?
- Are you primarily driven to use your models, research, and theory to directly impact results?
- Do you enjoy working with game designers, sales, marketing, brand managers, data analysts, and customer researchers in your quest to better understand the economic and psychological worlds of our players?
- Concept, research, and collaborate on economic models with R&D and Brand and Business Intelligence to better explain and predict player behavior.
- Provide insight and predictive models; as well as quantitative validation (or skepticism) based on proposed game design structures;
- Work with business intelligence and customer research partners to build better data structures and provide focus for data gathering capacity.
- Use the combination of data and modeling to generate new structural insights for use in game design, brand, and player psychology.
If you’re excited about the above questions, Magic R&D has a unique position available. We’re looking for a game design economist to help us better model and understand the complex world of the Magic TCG and its players. This person will be an integral part of the R&D leadership team, working to understand the intersections between play, cards, and market forces; bridging the spaces between design and marketing and data and research to help us create better models and better play, and ultimately, a better game for all of our players.
In Magic R&D, we believe diversity of experience is fundamental to creating accessible and fun Magic experiences for *all* of our players. We encourage everyone to consider being a part of our team.
AM I QUALIFIED? (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
Experience Creating and Casting these Spells:
- Graduate degree in Economics or similar quantitative field.
- Advanced knowledge of Statistics; experience with programming language such as R or Python.
- Must have significant experience working in digital or physical game economies and/or significant experience in playing or working on a TCG.
The successful candidate must embody the Magic R&D principles –
- We are stewards of Magic
- We are passionate about Magic
- We believe Magic makes a difference
- We focus on growing Magic’s audience
- We believe in discovery, surprise, and strategy.
- We listen.
- We improve.
- We collaborate.
- We debate.
- We are inclusive and respectful.
- We expect greatness
Office environment, able to work on computer or phone for long periods of time.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.