Bring Your Brain...........
We'll Supply the Dragon!
Wizards of the Coast is looking for an experienced Publishing Art Director to join our Digital Publishing & Licensing team. We are looking for an accomplished veteran of the interactive entertainment industry, charged with driving the visual quality across multiple titles, on a variety of WOTC franchises, with both internal and external development partners.
With deep experience in modern art production processes and techniques, the Publishing Art Director has led multiple teams to success through critical insight and imaginative vision. Possessing expert communication, diplomacy, and negotiation skills, this creative lead must adapt their management and communication styles to accommodate multiple challenging situations and personalities, often across multiple cultures.
Reporting to the Creative Director for Digital Publishing, Licensing & Platform, you will work with the other team and discipline leads to define the art vision and execute on that vision with excellence. You will help the overall direction and growth of the organization and champion the value of design among the senior leadership team. The Publishing Art Director delivers world-class visuals on schedule and within budget. Able to multi-task across multiple projects under production pressures, this person can receive direction -- but more importantly, is able to make strong, self-directed decisions, with a focus on performance and results.
With an unequaled attention to detail, the Publishing Art Director is flexible across multiple visual styles, intuitively understanding the fundamentals of art and design, and able to drive teams towards excellence and innovation. Ultimately, this person is the standard bearer for WOTC’s artistic quality, leading their projects and peers into the next generations of interactive entertainment.
- Advise, direct, and facilitate internal and external teams in development of games, across multiple games.
- Long term relationship management with internal teams and external partners, consistently raising the quality bar for WOTC titles.
- Ability to manage a full spectrum of Artists, across multiple experience levels.
- Cross-functional collaboration and leadership.
Skills & Attributes
- An excellent understanding of the building blocks of content creation and establishing visual style.
- Able to explain how they work to others.
- Ability to communicate a visual style that is creative and elegant.
- Can identify current or potential content creation problems and provide clear solutions.
- Good foundation knowledge of the WOTC games.
- Great communications – written and verbal.
- A diplomatic and collaborative approach.
- Able to undertake tasks solo or as part of a team.
- The ability to multitask and effectively time manage.
- Flexible and willing to work on a range of different platforms.
- Willing to travel to meet with development partners when required.
- Experience with content creation and game engine tools.
- Has worked on titles outside of the AAA console business.
- Candidates can show design work via a portfolio or website.
- BA or BFA in Graphic Design, Visual Communications, or similar.
- 8+ years in Art Director position, with proven track record of managing large and small internal or external teams to success, as well as building/maintaining art production schedules.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and negotiation skills, both verbal and written.
- In-depth mastery and understanding of 2D and 3D art and animation packages, including Photoshop and at least one industry standard 3D package.
- Thorough understanding of all aspects of game development process, from design methodology to craftsmanship and production.
- Must be willing to travel.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Nearest Secondary Market: Bellevue
Job Segment: Manager, Graphic Design, Artist, Animation, Publishing, Management, Creative
Date: Jan 12, 2019
Requisition ID: 8332