Manager, Play Design
Location: WA - Renton
Employment Type: Regular
Job Category: WOTC - Game Development
Bring Your Brain…..
We’ll Supply the Dragons!!!
Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and the world's largest publisher of adventure games, including Magic: The Gathering® Trading Card Game and Dungeons & Dragons® Roleplaying Games has an exciting opportunity for a Manager to join our Magic R&D Play Design team.
We offer competitive salaries, a great benefits package, and the excitement of working in a creative organization. But the best part of working here is that we think creating products that bring hours of enjoyment to millions around the globe is an inherently cool way to earn a living.
WHAT IS THIS ROLE ALL ABOUT?
The Play Design Manager is responsible for forming, mentoring, and improving the best team of Magic designers to create play experiences for formats and sets. The Play Design Manager is focused on building the team, monitoring and mentoring the team, and making sure the processes and structures of the team are optimized to produce the best work. They also bring a passion, experience, and insights for Magic constructed and limited formats.
Day to Day Responsibilities For This Wizard:
Engaging and Developing the Best People
• Weekly one-on-ones and regular daily contact with team.
• Creating and monitoring individual development plans for their people.
• Actively and directly giving guidance and feedback, and working quickly to ensure any issues or problems with behavior/outcomes get addressed.
Measuring and Improving Work
• Partnering with appropriate design architects to define standards for quality work and skills; creating and executing measurements for qualitative and quantitative assessments of work and skills.
• Working with people through one-on-one training, peer training, and seminars to improve work and skills.
Managing Current and New Workflow Process For Team
• Assessing current workflow process through participation in work teams.
• Ensure optimal performance in workflow and iterate and improve upon current workflows.
• Create new workflows when required for new products and experiences.
Hire the Best People
• Ensure best hiring practices for their team, including tests, interview process, and selection criteria.
• Ensure proper introduction and ramp-up for new employees.
• Provide weekly and monthly snapshots to team and to operations on workload for their teams.
• Partner with Operations Producer for workload estimates for quarterly, semi-annually, and annual snapshots.
Future Planning and Strategy
• Work with Operations Director to ensure we have best structure and people for future challenges and opportunities.
Who Are the Other Wizards, Teams and Partners You Will Work With?
• Director of Design – coordinate and agree on philosophy and execution of formats; coordinate feedback and process into set teams
• Operations Manager – coordinate handoffs and process from play teams to quality team.
• Operations Director – partner on overall culture, people, and process in R&D.
AM I QUALIFIED?
Experience Creating and Casting these Spells:
• 2+ years of team management experience.
• 3 years of leading Magic design teams or similar TCG, or similar computer/game design teams
• 5 years of Magic design experience or similar TCG, preferred
• 5 years of Magic competitive play experience in constructed and limited, preferred
Knowledge, Abilities and Characteristics of the Ideal Wizard:
The successful candidate must embody the Magic R&D principles
• We are stewards of Magic
• We are passionate about Magic
• We believe Magic makes a difference
• We focus on growing Magic’s audience
• We believe in discovery, surprise, and strategy.
• We listen.
• We improve.
• We collaborate.
• We debate.
• We are inclusive and respectful.
• We expect greatness.
Education and Training:
• Bachelor's Degree preferred or commensurate experience
• Up to 5%
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
Job Function: Digital Game Development
For more information about careers at Hasbro become a fan on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and join our careers group on LinkedIn.
Business Unit: Wizards of the Coast