Head of Consumer Products Licensing, Wizards of the Coast Brands
Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and the world's largest publisher of strategy and role-playing games, including Magic: The Gathering® Trading Card Game and Dungeons & Dragons® Roleplaying Games has an exciting opportunity for a leader of Consumer Products Licensing.
We offer competitive salaries, a great benefits package, and the excitement of working in a creative organization. But the best part of working here is that we think creating products that bring hours of enjoyment to millions around the globe is an inherently cool way to earn a living.
WHAT IS THIS ROLE ALL ABOUT?
Wizards is looking for a seasoned professional to lead the commercial development of Consumer Products Licensing for its flagship entertainment Brands Magic: The Gathering and Dungeons & Dragons.
With more than 40M fans, Wizards’ Brands have established over multiple decades a strong and unique presence in the geek and pop culture. Both Brands are poised for exponential growth in Consumer Products Licensing. The Head of Consumer Products Licensing is therefore an essential role in Wizards’ organization that directs the commercial and Brand development strategy with the double goal of growing both Category revenue and Brand awareness on a global basis.
At its heart, this role develops and leads the execution of the global Consumer Products category strategic plan for each Brand. It is responsible to identify, negotiate, manage and grow the relationships with Consumer Products Licensees as well as develop key strategies to drive compelling Brand offerings and products at retail globally. The Head of Consumer Products Licensing works in close collaboration with the Global Consumer Products Organization team at Hasbro (Wizards’ parent Company) to exploit the wealth of development opportunities that a leading entertainment Company provides from apparel, to merchandising to location-based entertainment. It also partners heavily with each Brand team at Wizards to define and execute each brand multi-year strategic plan.
The ideal candidate is a marketing savvy commercial / sales and business development leader who brings a solid experience growing a portfolio of licensed Consumer Products for a leading Game or Consumer brand across multiple categories. He/She has a proven track record negotiating and executing licensing agreements on either the Licensor or Licensee side. He/She also has a consummate knowledge and experience in developing successful retail and go-to-market strategies for consumer products. The ideal candidate is a self-starter that is as much a strategist as a doer/tactician who can drive and close key deals. He/She is also an inspiring leader with a proven ability to build, lead and grow teams in a fast-paced environment, lead through influence, motivate cross-functional teams and work in a highly-matrixed environment. Knowledge of the Trading Card Game or the Role-Playing Game consumer is a plus but not a requirement.
Day to day Responsibilities of this Wizards
- Lead the design and development of the global category strategic plan and overall Consumer Product P&L targets for Both Magic: The Gathering and Dungeons & Dragons in relationship each Brand leadership
- Responsible for all aspects of Consumer Products Category revenue budget and forecasting for Wizards Brands
- Lead best-in-class execution of the category strategic plan through strong licensee relationships and effective orchestration of all key constituents (Brand, Creative, Trade, Consumer Products teams)
- Develop and execute a retail channel strategy including e-commerce to grow the category
- Develop strategies and plans to leverage fans as a platform to drive innovation in product design and marketing
- Develop new or elevate existing partnerships into long term, high-impact deals while always striking the balance between
- Drive best-in-class product execution with licensee and creative teams
- Partner with Brand and Consumer Insights teams to align Consumer Products plan with Brand and fan’s satisfaction objectives
- Partner with Hasbro Consumer Products group to execute deals that span across multiple Hasbro brands
- Build partnerships across Hasbro and WotC creative groups (art, design, development, etc.) for asset development, guides, licensee toolkits, etc.
- Act as key player within the Consumer Product group to share best practices, identify/lead new initiatives with other Hasbro Category leads and regional counterparts
- Reports dually to Wizards’ SVP of marketing and Hasbro’s SVP of Global Consumer Products and provides monthly/quarterly business and sales reporting
- Sits as part of Hasbro’s Consumer Products Global Leadership Team and Wizards’ Marketing Leadership Team and attends all Global Staff meetings, off-sites and trade events.
- Keep current with industry trends through networking and attending trade shows
- Mentor, manage and develop a team of Licensing Managers embedded in each Brand team
AM I QUALIFIED?
Experience Creating and Casting These Spells:
- 8+ years of experience in the licensing business globally with P/L responsibility
- 5+ of solid experience in Consumer Products, Marketing/Sales, Promotions/Retail, required w/ an intensive deal-making background
- Minimum 5 years of inspirational leadership and people management w/ a proven track record of inspiring and developing others
- Experience in originating new business opportunities and negotiating deals as well as develop key account relationships
- Knowledge, Abilities and Characteristics of the Ideal Wizard:
- Executive presence with superior communication skills
- Superior ability to craft and communicate vision
- Creative thinker comfortable with disruptive fast-growth strategies and innovative business models
- Acute negotiator experienced with executive-level negotiation, deal-making
- Pragmatic and inspiring sales leader with a passion for execution
- Self-starter with both superior strategic thinking and tactical execution skills
- Solid financial skills and able to budget and review financial models including forecasts and royalty structures
- Proven leadership in managing and growing teams through change in fast-evolving environments
- Deep and relevant understanding of a variety of consumer product categories
- Broad working knowledge of the entertainment industry and business
Education and Training:
- Bachelor's degree, Master’s degree preferred
- Up to 35% of time per year
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.