Concept Artist - Contractor
Location: WA - Renton
Employment Type: Temporary
Job Category: WOTC - Creative
THIS IS A CONTRACTOR POSITION - up to 12 months
WHAT IS THIS ROLE ALL ABOUT?
• An experienced digital concept artist with deep engagement in fantasy art and pop culture?
• Looking to work with other high-talent, high-experience creatives that share your passions?
• Excited by being able to build new worlds with top creative talent in the gaming industry?
• Well-versed in translating abstract ideas, reference, and feedback into superior artwork?
• Someone who prides themselves creating through collaboration?
• Passionate about Magic: The Gathering (or will become so) and want to be a part of the Magic: The Gathering creative team?
Then we would love to talk to you about an open position we have in Magic R&D for a Concept Artist Contractor role.
The Magic R&D Concept Artist drives innovative visual world creation for Magic with a deep understanding of the Magic brand. This key role in Magic R&D collaborates with other art directors, concept artists and concept writers to create a product that brings joy to millions of Magic fans.
In Magic R&D, we believe diversity of experience is fundamental to creating broadly accessible and fun Magic experiences and games for *all• of our players. We encourage everyone to consider being a part of our team.
The successful candidate must embody the Magic R&D principles –
• We are stewards of Magic.
• We are passionate about Magic.
• We believe Magic makes a difference.
• We focus on growing Magic’s audience.
• We believe in discovery, surprise, and strategy.
• We listen.
• We improve.
• We collaborate.
• We debate.
• We are inclusive and respectful.
• We expect greatness.
DAY TO DAY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS WIZARD
• Create original concepts, including extrapolating ideas from visual and written direction
• Redesign existing concepts
• Contribute to general world building
• Support art director/writers/creative team in creating and executing brand visual identity
AM I QUALIFIED?
Experience Creating and Casting these Spells:
• Commercial concept art experience
• Knowledge, Abilities and Characteristics of the Ideal Wizard:
• Ability to create, using digital methods: Sketches (rough preliminary concept sketches), Silhouette roughs (silhouette shape explorations), Detail drawings (detailed finished drawings), Color roughs (color roughs, managing design color palette), and Finished color illustrations (final illustrations if required).
• Ability to work with the following subject matter (fantasy genre): Characters (costuming, jewelry & body art from various cultures), Equipment (knowledge of armor, weapons & gear is a plus), Creatures (extensive knowledge of animal anatomy is very useful), Environments (buildings, architectural motifs, landscapes), and Spell Effects (visual treatments for spell effects).
• Possessing a strong portfolio showing examples of the above types of work
• Understanding of Magic as both a game and a brand.
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
• Ability to work and communicate effectively with diverse groups of people.
• Ability to eagerly embrace challenges head-on and the confidence to propose creative solutions.
• Ability to take direction and work within scope constraints.
• A strong sense of accountability, responsibility and pride regarding this position and the projects that are assigned.
• Comfortable giving and receiving feedback.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
• High skill in Adobe Photoshop
• Proficiency in other Adobe Creative Suite products (InDesign, Illustrator) and MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook)
• Experience working in a professional product engineering environment in the gaming industry a plus
Education and Training:
• Studies or training in Concept Art, Visual Arts, Illustration, or related subjects.
• Office environment, able to work on computer for long periods of time.
This position would not be employed by Wizards of the Coast but through a third party.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
For more information about careers at Hasbro become a fan on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and join our careers group on LinkedIn.
Business Unit: Wizards of the Coast