Art Director WOTC
Location: WA - Renton
Employment Type: Regular
Job Category: WOTC - Creative
Bring Your Brain…..
We’ll Supply the Dragons!!!
Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and the world's largest publisher of adventure games, including Magic: The Gathering® Trading Card Game and Dungeons & Dragons® Roleplaying Games has an exciting opportunity for an Art Director to join our Magic: The Gathering team.
We offer competitive salaries, a great benefits package, and the excitement of working in a creative organization. But the best part of working here is that we think creating products that bring hours of enjoyment to millions around the globe is an inherently cool way to earn a living.
WHAT IS THIS ROLE ALL ABOUT?
Our flagship brand, Magic: The Gathering, has an immediate need for an Art Director with an eye for sophisticated design, a passion for visual storytelling, and a deep connection to fantasy entertainment. Do you have what it takes to capture attention and motivate our fans? Our world-class artwork, intriguing characters, engaging worlds, and tales of fantastical adventure are waiting for you. This Art Director will apply Magic’s modern fantasy look and feel using all the tools of the modern creative—illustration, graphic design, typography, and a few that haven't been invented yet. You will concept and commission illustration from a global pool of artists working in a variety of styles that meet Magic’s world-class level of quality. You'll help shape the future of an amazing brand and work with the brightest minds in the business. We can't promise anything, but you'll probably have fun doing it.
Day to Day Responsibilities For This Wizard:
• Work with Magic’s Senior Creative Art Director to develop, define, and communicate Magic’s look & feel in marketing channels, including, but not limited to Advertising, Licensed products, Apps, Events, Organized Play, and Social Media.
• Concept and commission high-profile artwork, providing continuous direction on individual pieces.
• Spot, source, and on-board new high-quality illustrators and designers.
• Maintain an open channel with all Magic commissioning Art Directors to continually hone best practices.
• Collaborate with Creative and Marketing teams to support/express the heart of the campaign.
• Maintain Wizards of the Coast's and the Magic team's high quality visual standards and upholding its brand values.
• Retain an attention to detail while working under continual deadline constraints.
• Stay current on emerging technologies and industry trends.
• Work with creative, brand, and project managers to define and improve creative development processes.
AM I QUALIFIED?
Experience Creating and Casting These Spells
• 5 - 7 years of relevant experience
• Extensive experience in art commissioning, either as a commissioning Art Director or as a commercial illustrator working with commissioning ADs.
• Experience art directing or producing visual content for marketing, promotions, social media or advertising campaigns for game, entertainment, or geek culture brands (or closely related lifestyle brands).
Knowledge, Abilities and Characteristics of the Ideal Wizard:
• Strong creative design skill with an ability to recognize, commission, and direct great illustration and design.
• Ability and drive to take ownership of the look & feel of projects, taking responsibility for presentation of concepts, conflict resolution, and communication in addition to creative development.
• Ability to communicate creative ideas and project targets verbally and in written form.
• Track record as a motivated self-starter, able to work proactively throughout development with little supervision.
• Ability to effectively work with and lead diverse groups of creative people.
• Good organization, prioritization and time management skills.
• Retain attention to detail while working under continual deadline constraints.
• Current understanding of emerging technologies and entertainment industry trends.
• Understanding of (if not personal involvement with) game and/or geek entertainment culture.
• Must be able to provide a digital portfolio showcasing creative work in across a variety of media landscapes including, but not limited to, some of the following: illustration, graphic design, animation, environment/set design, web design, etc.
Education and Training:
• BFA or BA preferred.
Time Expected to Reach Full Performance Level in Position:
• 3 Months
• Office environment, able to work on a computer for long periods of time.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
For more information about careers at Hasbro become a fan on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and join our careers group on LinkedIn.
Business Unit: Wizards of the Coast