Art Director, Magic
Location: WA - Renton
Employment Type: Regular
Job Category: WOTC - Creative
Bring Your Brain…..
We’ll Supply the Dragons!!!
Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and the world's largest publisher of adventure games, including Magic: The Gathering® Trading Card Game and Dungeons & Dragons® Roleplaying Games has an exciting opportunity for an Art Director to join our Magic Creative and Production Studios team.
We offer competitive salaries, a great benefits package, and the excitement of working in a creative organization. But the best part of working here is that we think creating products that bring hours of enjoyment to millions around the globe is an inherently cool way to earn a living.
WHAT IS THIS ROLE ALL ABOUT?
Our flagship brand, Magic: The Gathering, has an immediate need for a digital-savvy Art Director with an eye for sophisticated design, a passion for visual storytelling, and a deep connection to fantasy entertainment. Do you have what it takes to capture attention and motivate our fans? Our world-class artwork, intriguing characters, engaging worlds, and tales of fantastical adventure are waiting for you.
The Art Director will work with freelancers, external vendors, and in-house creative teams at all stages of development from conception through production. Under the direction of the Senior Creative Art Director, the Art Director will work to create concepts, pitch and produce materials to support Magic product, meet the goals of the brand, and enhance the Wizards gaming experience to excite and inspire hordes of passionate gamers.
The Art Director will apply Magic’s modern fantasy look and feel using all the tools of the modern creative – brand identity, structural packaging, graphic design, typography, photography as well as Magic’s world-class illustrations. This is a tactical hands on design role in which the Art director is responsible for ensuring that the style and quality of all assets conforms to the vision and requirements defined by the product owners.
DAY TO DAY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS WIZARD
• Responsible for leading in the execution of structural and graphic designers to support new product and packaging design solutions.
• Work with Magic’s Senior Creative Art Director to develop, define, and communicate Magic’s look & feel through packaging, graphic and product design.
• Collaborate with the Production Engineer to ensure all printed materials are produced to a consistently high standard.
• Participate in meetings, discussions and presentations, including the development and presentation of rough and final comps. Utilize all available design tools to develop and present creative concepts and strategies.
• Interact with Project Manager, Production Engineer, and Senior Creative Art Director to ensure high quality design.
• Responsible for adhering to budgets and schedules set forth by the Creative team.
• Understands and stays current with department and company processes.
Who Are the Other Wizards, Teams and Partners You Will Work With?
• Creative Managers
• Category Managers
• Art Directors
• Packaging Designers
• Graphic Designers
• Brand Manager
• Project Managers
• Creative team members.
AM I QUALIFIED?
Experience Creating and Casting these Spells:
• 1-3 years art direction experience preferred
• Strong background in graphic design and/or packaging.
Knowledge, Abilities and Characteristics of the Ideal Wizard:
• Strong oral, written and visual communication skills, with the ability to “sell” creative ideas to stakeholders.
• Track record as a motivated self-starter able to work proactively throughout development with little supervision.
• Must be able to balance aesthetic and production considerations.
• Proficient organization, prioritization and time management skills.
• Retain an attention to detail while working under continual deadline constraints.
• Strong interpersonal and team-building skills, good communications skills, and a positive attitude required. Ability to see the big picture without losing sight of the small details.
• Thorough understanding of print or digital processes, with some understanding of both.
• Knowledge of material and manufacturing processes relating to consumer packaging/products preferred.
• Excellent organization, prioritization and time management skills.
• Proven ability to deliver consumer focused designs that align with Brand vision.
• Strong initiative to stay current on emerging trends and technologies in design and production preferred.
• Stays current with pop culture, geek entertainment visual, emerging technologies and industry trends.
• Knowledge of Magic brand, products, promotional strategies and gameplay a plus.
• Expert knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign required.
• Microsoft Word and Excel experience required.
• FileMaker Pro and PowerPoint a plus.
Education and Training:
• Associate Degree or commensurate with work experience.
• Bachelor's of Arts or Fine Arts preferred.
• Up to 5%
• Link to portfolio at time of application submission required.
Time Expected to Reach Full Performance Level in Position:
• 3 months
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
For more information about careers at Hasbro become a fan on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and join our careers group on LinkedIn.
Business Unit: Wizards of the Coast