Technology Project Manager Job (Renton, WA, US)
Technology Project Manager Job (Renton, WA, US)
Technology Project Manager
Location: WA - Renton
Employment Type: Regular
Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and the world's largest publisher of adventure games, including Magic: The Gathering® Trading Card Game and Dungeons & Dragons® Roleplaying Games has an exciting opportunity for a Technology Project Manager to join our team. Only local candidates need apply. There is no relocation assistance for this position.
Launched in 2002, Magic: The Gathering Online is the official online edition of the world’s most popular trading card game. Magic Online allows players to collect and trade virtual cards, build the perfect deck and find opponents at all skill levels – all from the comfort of their own homes. For more information on Wizards of the Coast and Magic: The Gathering Online, visit www.wizards.com.
We offer competitive salaries, a great benefits package, and the excitement of working in a creative organization. But the best part of working here is that we think creating products that bring hours of enjoyment to millions around the globe is an inherently cool way to earn a living.
As a Technology Project Manager at Wizards of the Coast you will work in a fast-paced creative environment to help ensure the company produces the right products at the right time. You will be responsible for managing numerous projects, often requiring considerable resources and high levels of functional integration, and lead the team responsible for achieving project objectives. This includes identifying dependencies, defining scope, managing risks and issues, monitoring budgets, and ensuring there is cross-functional project communication.
You are responsible for satisfying the task, team, and stakeholder needs on a project. You balance the scope, schedule, and budget of assigned projects to ensure project benefits are achieved. You manage all aspects of the project over the entire life, including identifying and acquiring the necessary resources to achieve the project objectives. You will drive customer and stakeholder satisfaction, including ensuring alignment of the individual project with the program goals. You will follow project management best practices for all assigned projects. Your success is measured by project quality, timeliness, budget compliance, and degree of customer satisfaction.
Our ideal candidate is a strong leader with a well-established history in project management. You need to motivate and synchronize cross-functional resources to achieve project goals, while balancing the constraints of time, cost, and consistent quality. You understand and employ the fundamentals of what project managers do to run a project successfully and you understand the methodology of project management, including enhancements and improvement opportunities. You are able to resolve conflicts and direct individual project team members by providing specific work instructions if necessary. You are a persuasive credible communicator and have excellent interpersonal skills. You are a motivated, enthusiastic team leader who is able to approach project management with a positive, optimistic attitude and work across all levels of the company.
- Capture and understand stakeholder needs, desires, and expectations and analyze the impact of the program or project on stakeholders, gain and maintain stakeholder support, manage stakeholder communications, and mitigate/channel stakeholder resistance.
- Communicate continuously with stakeholders to address issues as they occur, manage conflicting interests, and foster appropriate stakeholder engagement in project decisions and activities.
- Balance the competing project constraints, which include, but are not limited to scope, quality, schedule, budget, resources, and risks.
- Partnering with business owners, develop a viable plan using the goals and objectives, applicable historical information, and other available resources in order to align with the expectations of sponsors and stakeholders.
- Manage change in order to control cost, resources, schedules, and quality.
- Create a scope management plan that identifies how the project scope will be defined, validated, and controlled.
- Ensure that the project includes all the work required, and only the work required, to achieve the project objective.
- Create a schedule management plan that identifies how the project schedule will be planned, developed, managed, executed, and controlled.
- Develop and maintain a project schedule that identifies milestones, activities, resource estimates, durations, and task relationships.
- Manage the timely completion of the project.
- Create a cost management plan that identifies how the project budget will be planned, managed, expended, and controlled.
- Ensure all budget requirements are identified and tracked.
- Partner with the Program Manager and Finance to monitor spending and ensure the project is completed within the approved budget.
- Partner with groups to determine quality policies, objectives, and requirements.
- Ensure project requirements, including product requirements, are met and validated.
- Identify and document needed project roles, responsibilities, and required skills.
- Confirm resource availability and obtain the project team necessary to complete project activities.
- Perform demand and capacity planning and assist with resource management for constrained resources across the company.
- Develop communications management plan to address stakeholder needs and expectations, provide key messages in a timely fashion and in a format designed specifically for the interested parties.
- Maintain data for all active and proposed programs and projects, including key dates, risk mitigation, schedules, resource requirements, and status.
- Set up, maintain, and carry out communications among stakeholders that are active, effective, and collaborative in nature
- Identify risks that may affect the project and document their characteristics.
- Perform qualitative and quantitative risk analysis in order to prioritize and analyze the effect of identified risks on overall project objectives.
- Actively manage risks by implementing risk response plans, tracking identified risks, and monitoring residual risks.
- Purchase or acquire products, services, or results needed from outside the project team.
- Manage procurement relationships, monitor contract performance, and make changes and corrections as appropriate.
You will work closely with the Program Manager to achieve the project objectives and to ensure the project management plan aligns with the overarching program plan. You will mentor other project managers in best practices and techniques. You will assist the below teams in the execution of project vision and requirements, creation of specifications, and change management to ensure that deliverables are produced to specification, within budget and schedule constraints.
- Research & Development
- Creative and Production Services
- Technology Services / Operations
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proven track record of delivering numerous successful projects.
- Proven track record of developing and implementing process improvements.
- Demonstrates expertise in project planning, capacity management, and risk management.
- Able to communicate effectively verbally, visually, and in writing.
- Creates clear, concise technical and financial reports using Excel and Word.
- Creates clear, concise presentation materials using PowerPoint and Visio.
- Develops and maintains constructive and cooperative working relationships with others.
- Inspires loyalty and trust, handles oneself ethically following core values and beliefs.
- Builds mutual trust and encourages respect and cooperation among team members.
Prior Related Experience:
- 3 - 5 years technology project management experience required, 5 - 7 years preferred
- 1 - 3 years technology experience required, 3 - 5 years preferred
- Experience working in an entertainment or gaming environment preferred
- Experience working in a major scheduling tool required; knowledge of MS Project preferred
Education and Training:
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical subject required or equivalent experience; MBA preferred
- PMP certification preferred
- No travel is required.
Time Expected to Reach Full Performance Level in Position:
- The Project Manager is expected to reach full performance within 6 months. Although project management skills will be effective within one month, it will take additional time to develop stakeholder relationships and master the environment.
- Office environment, able to work on a computer or phone for long periods of time.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
For more information about careers at Hasbro become a fan on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and join our careers group on LinkedIn.
J2W Posting Code: Wizards of the Coast
Business Unit: Wizards - Corporate