Database Administrator Job (Renton, WA, US)
Location: WA - Renton
Employment Type: Regular
Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and the world's largest publisher of adventure games, including Magic: The Gathering® Trading Card Game and Dungeons & Dragons® Role-playing Games has an exciting opportunity for a Database Administrator to join our team.
We offer competitive salaries, a great benefits package, and the excitement of working in a creative organization. But the best part of working here is that we think creating products that bring hours of enjoyment to millions around the globe is an inherently cool way to earn a living.
The Database Administrator will assist in the implementation, operation, and maintenance of database management systems (DBMS). Reviews project plans, design and development documentation, and test specifications and recommends DBMS products and solutions that meet business requirements. This is an MS SQL Server Database Administrator role largely responsible for providing enterprise-wide operational database services. Primary responsibilities include owning, tracking and resolving database related incidents and requests, fulfilling requests and resolving incidents within Service Level Agreements, reviewing service related reports (e.g. database backups, maintenance, monitoring) on a daily basis to ensure service related issues are identified and resolved within established SLAs, responding to database related alerts and escalations and working with system administrators and/or developers to come up with strategic solutions to DBMS problems.
This Database Administrator role requires a service oriented mentality, high sense of ownership of the problems and requests assigned, focus on managing and resolving issues in alignment with SLAs, establishing and maintaining communication with technology customers to keep them updated with status of their requests, initiating and performing changes on production and non-production systems, and proactively escalating any issues that cannot be resolved within the established time frames.
- Backup and restore databases between multiple environments and locations.
- Assist in defining DBMS policies, procedures, standards, and guidelines.
- Assist in the preparation of strategic DBMS roadmaps.
- Assist in the preparation of DBMS documentation and configuration reports.
- Implement physical database objects, schemas, indexing methods, security procedures, and overall best practices for a wide variety of applications that require 24x7 support.
- Develop optimized stored procedures to solve complex problems; tune databases and systems for peak performance; implement databases in MSSQL 2008 OLTP environments for core business functions as well as customer-facing, revenue generating online gaming applications.
- Support database replication and mirroring for production and non-production environments.
- Provide first-level applications support: Resolve problems and answer questions related to the MSSQL environment; work with vendors directly when necessary; facilitate application development and client problem resolution with optimum speed and efficiency.
- Perform monitoring and tuning: Closely monitor performance; identify problems and implement solutions; ensure the databases are running at optimum speed and efficiency.
- Install and upgrade MSSQL and related products: Keep MSSQL at current release and maintenance levels; install supporting products; provide current, stable Production, Development, QA, and Staging environments.
- Reorganize database structures as needed: Automate procedures at regular intervals; use tools to reorganize or defragment database tables and indexes; provide efficient database environment to maximize productivity and improve performance.
- Perform application refreshes on request: Refresh data from one environment to another at the request of the application development staff; execute necessary tasks to accomplish this, including export, drop, create, and import at pre-scheduled times to minimize impact; provide application development staff optimal development environment with current data.
- Review and implement all changes to database structures: Ensure the integrity of the data and maintain data availability as required by SLAs.
- Capacity planning and reporting: Monitor file system space and database allocations. Verify efficient use of disk storage; reclaim unused space; optimize space allocation and avoid out-of-space conditions.
- A minimum of 5 years of professional database design, administration, and development experience in a mission critical, customer-facing, revenue-generating highly concurrent environment.
- Thorough experience with Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and above.
- Experience with scripting languages such as PowerShell, VBScript, and DOS batch commands is preferred.
- Knowledge of client/server and/or Internet technologies such as ASP.Net, and/or C# is preferred.
- BA/BS Degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline is preferred.
Time Expected to Reach Full Performance Level in Position:
- This position will take six months to become fully effective.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
For more information about careers at Hasbro become a fan on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and join our careers group on LinkedIn.
J2W Posting Code: Wizards of the Coast
Business Unit: Wizards - Corporate