Database Administrator Job (Renton, WA, US)
Database Administrator Job (Renton, WA, US)
Location: WA - Renton
Employment Type: Regular
Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and the world's largest publisher of adventure games, including Magic: The Gathering® Trading Card Game and Dungeons & Dragons® Role-playing Games has an exciting opportunity for a Database Administrator to join our team. There is no relocation assistance for this position.
Launched in 2002, Magic: The Gathering Online is the official online edition of the world’s most popular trading card game. Magic Online allows players to collect and trade virtual cards, build the perfect deck and find opponents at all skill levels – all from the comfort of their own homes. For more information on Wizards of the Coast and Magic: The Gathering Online, visit www.wizards.com.
We offer competitive salaries, a great benefits package, and the excitement of working in a creative organization. But the best part of working here is that we think creating products that bring hours of enjoyment to millions around the globe is an inherently cool way to earn a living.
The Database Administrator's primary role is implementation, operation, and maintenance of database management systems (DBMS). This MS SQL Server DBA role is largely responsible for providing enterprise-wide database support which includes on-call responsibilities. The primary responsibilities include owning, tracking and resolving database related incidents within SLA, fulfilling requests and reviewing service related reports (e.g. database backups, maintenance, monitoring) on a daily basis to ensure service related issues are proactively resolved. Responsibilities also include working with system engineers, database engineers and/or developers to come up with strategic solutions to DBMS problems.
This Database Administrator role requires a service oriented mentality, a high sense of ownership of the incidents and requests assigned, establishing and maintaining effective communications with technology services engineers. Effective communications includes technology customers to keep them updated on the state of their production services, initiating and performing changes on production and pre-production systems, and escalating incidents that cannot be resolved to the appropriate engineering service owners within the established time-frames.
- Backup and restore databases between multiple environments and locations
- Assist in defining DBMS policies, procedures, standards, and guidelines
- Assist in the preparation of DBMS documentation and configuration reports
- Implement physical database objects, schemas, indexing methods, security procedures, and overall best practices for a wide variety of applications that require 24x7 support
- Support database replication and mirroring for production and non-production environments
- Provide tier 2 DBMS support: Resolve problems and answer questions related to the MSSQL environment; work with vendors directly when necessary
- Perform monitoring and tuning; Identify problems and implement solutions; ensure the databases are running at optimum speed and efficiency
- Install and upgrade MSSQL and related products: Keep MSSQL at current release and maintenance levels; install supporting products; provide current, stable Production, Development, QA, and Staging environment
- Reorganize database structures as needed: Automate procedures at regular intervals; use tools to reorganize or defragment database tables and indexes; provide efficient database environment to maximize productivity and improve performance
- Perform application refreshes on request: Refresh data from one environment to another at the request of the application development staff; execute necessary tasks to accomplish this, including export, drop, create, and import at pre-scheduled times to minimize impact; provide application development staff optimal development environment with current data
- Review and implement all changes to database structures:
- Ensure the integrity of the data and maintain data availability as required by SLAs
- Capacity planning and reporting: Monitor file-system space and database allocations; verify efficient use of disk storage; reclaim unused space; optimize space allocation and avoid out-of-space conditions
- Takes the lead on developing and working team work efforts and projects
- 3+ years of professional database design, administration, and development experience in a mission critical, customer-facing, revenue-generating highly concurrent environment
- Thorough experience with Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and above
- Experience with scripting languages such as PowerShell, VBScript, and DOS batch commands
- Experience working with storage administrators on SAN/NAS provisioning relative to SQL Server
- Experience with virtualizing SQL Server instances using either VMWare of Hyper-V
- Knowledge of client/server and/or Internet technologies such as ASP.Net, and/or C# is preferred
Education & Training:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline, and or commensurate work experience
Time Expected to Reach Full Performance Level in Position:
- 3-6 months to become fully effective.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
For more information about careers at Hasbro become a fan on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and join our careers group on LinkedIn.
J2W Posting Code: Wizards of the Coast
Business Unit: Wizards - Corporate