Database Administrator Job (Renton, WA, US)
Database Administrator Job (Renton, WA, US)
Location: WA - Renton
Employment Type: Regular
Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and the world's largest publisher of adventure games, including Magic: The Gathering® Trading Card Game and Dungeons & Dragons® Role-playing Games has an exciting opportunity for a Database Administrator to join our team.
Launched in 2002, Magic: The Gathering Online is the official online edition of the world’s most popular trading card game. Magic Online allows players to collect and trade virtual cards, build the perfect deck and find opponents at all skill levels – all from the comfort of their own homes. For more information on Wizards of the Coast and Magic: The Gathering Online, visit www.wizards.com.
We offer competitive salaries, a great benefits package, and the excitement of working in a creative organization. But the best part of working here is that we think creating products that bring hours of enjoyment to millions around the globe is an inherently cool way to earn a living.
The live operations DBA’s primary role is implementation, operation, and maintenance of database management systems (DBMS). This MS SQL Server DBA role is largely responsible for providing enterprise-wide database support and includes on-call responsibilities. The primary responsibilities include owning, tracking and resolving database related incidents within SLA, fulfilling requests and reviewing service related reports (e.g. database backups, maintenance, monitoring) on a daily basis to ensure service related issues are proactively resolved. Responsibilities also include working with system engineers, database engineers and/or developers to produce strategic solutions to DBMS problems.
This DBA role requires a service oriented mentality, a high sense of ownership of the incidents and requests assigned, and establishing and maintaining effective communications with technology services engineers. Effective communications includes technology customers to keep them updated on the state of their production services, initiating and performing changes on production and pre-production systems, and escalating incidents that cannot be resolved to the appropriate engineering service owners within the established timeframes.
- Backup and restore databases between multiple environments and locations. (5%)
- Assist in defining DBMS policies, procedures, standards, and guidelines. (5%)
- Assist in the preparation of DBMS documentation and configuration reports. (5%)
- Implement physical database objects, schemas, indexing methods, security procedures, and overall best practices for a wide variety of applications that require 24x7 support. (10%)
- Support database replication and mirroring for production and non-production environments. (10%)
- Provide tier 3 DBMS support: Resolve problems and answer questions related to the MS SQL environment; work with vendors directly when necessary. (15%)
- Perform monitoring and tuning; Identify problems and implement solutions; ensure the databases are running at optimum speed and efficiency. (10%)
- Install and upgrade MS SQL and related products: Keep MS SQL at current release and maintenance levels; install supporting products; provide current, stable Production, Development, QA, and Staging environments. (5%)
- Reorganize database structures as needed: Automate procedures at regular intervals; use tools to reorganize or defragment database tables and indexes; provide efficient database environment to maximize productivity and improve performance. (5%)
- Perform application refreshes on request: Refresh data from one environment to another at the request of the application development staff; execute necessary tasks to accomplish this, including export, drop, create, and import at pre-scheduled times to minimize impact; provide application development staff optimal development environment with current data. (5%)
- Review and implement all changes to database structures: Ensure the integrity of the data and maintain data availability as required by SLAs. (10%)
- Capacity planning and reporting: Monitor file-system space and database allocations; verify efficient use of disk storage; reclaim unused space; optimize space allocation and avoid out-of-space conditions. (5%)
- Takes the lead on developing and working teamwork efforts and projects. (10%)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A minimum of 7 years of professional database design, administration, and development experience in a mission critical, customer-facing, revenue-generating highly concurrent environment.
- A minimum 2 years of experience working on a Production Support 24x7 On-call team.
- Thorough experience with Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and above.
- Knowledge of High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) options for MSSQL Server.
- Thorough knowledge in troubleshooting and resolving database integrity issues, performance issues, blocking and deadlocking issues, replication issues, log shipping issues, connectivity issues, security issues etc.
- Experience in Performance Tuning, Query Optimization, using Performance Monitor, SQL Profiler and other related monitoring and troubleshooting tools.
- Experience working with Windows server, including Active Directory and proper disk configurations.
- Experience in implementing operational automation using scripts.
- Experience with SQL Azure Cloud computing.
- Experience with virtualizing SQL Server instances using either VMWare or Hyper-V.
- Solid acquaintance with windows server, security delegation, SPNs, storage components.
- Good documentation and communication skills for processes and procedures (creating KBs, run books, topology, etc.)
- BA/BS Degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline is preferred.
Time Expected to Reach Full Performance Level in Position:
- 6 Months
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
For more information about careers at Hasbro become a fan on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and join our careers group on LinkedIn.
J2W Posting Code: Wizards of the Coast
Business Unit: Wizards - Corporate