Content Manager Job (Renton, WA, US)
Content Manager Job (Renton, WA, US)
Location: WA - Renton
Employment Type: Regular
Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and the world's largest publisher of adventure games, including Magic: The Gathering® Trading Card Game and Dungeons & Dragons® Roleplaying Games has an exciting opportunity for a Content Manager to join our team. Only local candidates need apply. There is no relocation assistance for this position.
We offer competitive salaries, a great benefits package, and the excitement of working in a creative organization. But the best part of working here is that we think creating products that bring hours of enjoyment to millions around the globe is an inherently cool way to earn a living.
The Content Manager is responsible for driving the global strategy and execution of Magic’s presence on the web, with particular focus on the global content plan for the magicthegathering.com family of web pages. Working in conjunction with the Magic Brand Team, Social Media and Community Team, and the Communications Team, this role is responsible for generating a comprehensive, year-round, consumer-facing content plan designed to acquire new fans and deepen the engagement of existing fans by incorporating daily updates, campaign-based content, and evergreen content through articles, calls to action, video, immersive and interactive content, tools, and services. The Content Manager will provide strategic leadership to regionally-based marketing and community managers, directly manage in-house editors, and manage a team of 20-30 content contractors. The ideal candidate will have extensive knowledge of the Magic: The Gathering trading card game and will have demonstrated experience managing engaging, interactive content for a daily-updating, fan-focused website.
- Direct manager of 1employee
Metrics: Budget/Revenue Managed
- Responsible for A&P budget of $500k.
- Create and execute a global, localized content strategy for Magic: The Gathering on the web, including magicthegathering.com and other Magic-related web sites.
- Manage an extensive team of external contractors as well as internal content contributors and regionally-based content managers to generate and localize content in the form of articles, calls to action, video, immersive and interactive content, tools, and services.
- Create and manage preview plans for new product releases, including preview asset management and coordination of asset release timing with international marketing teams and fan sites.
- Coordinate with web team on website maintenance/updating of content.
- Analyze and report on performance and ROI of web initiatives and adjust plans to optimize.
- Track the content budget and work with the brand, web, finance, and business intelligence teams to ensure financial targets are being met.
- Monitor and report on consumer reaction and generate consumer insight driven marketing proposals.
- Research and communicate current market trends and competitive activity to identify new opportunities in the web space.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Expertise managing engaging, interactive content for a daily-updating, fan-focused website.
- Thorough understanding of current trends and best practices in content marketing.
- Deep working knowledge of Magic cards, sets, rules, and web communities.
- Solid writing and editing skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent leadership ability within a highly matrixed organization: ability to provide clear and concise direction/feedback to stakeholders and the ability to influence others to adopt his/her recommendations.
- Strong project management abilities; capable of prioritizing and handling multiple projects simultaneously, under tight deadline constraints, responding to fluctuating priories and within budget parameters.
- Understanding of the technical workings of the web preferred.
- Working knowledge of layout/design is preferred.
- Experience working with international partners a plus.
- Knowledge of the digital game industry highly desirable.
- This position is the global leader for Magic’s web content plan, and has authority to develop strategy for, plan and execute a mix of evergreen, campaign-focused, and daily content deployments for the global website working in close partnership with the brand, business, and marketing teams. Plans must be submitted for check-ins for campaign planning purposes under the leadership of the Brand Manager. A campaign element that crosses into other Magic activities or involve spends/revenue for other business units must be escalated.
- Social media and community team
- Brand and business teams
- Web team
- Communications team
- International business and marketing teams
- External and internal content creators and editors
Education and Training:
- BA/BS degree required, preferably in the areas of communications, marketing, journalism, or related.
Prior Related Experience:
- Three year minimum experience in web content coordination for a fan-focused, daily updating website
- Thorough knowledge of and passion for Magic required. Please specify Magic specific experience/knowledge on your resume.
- Experience in the video/digital game, hobby game, toy, entertainment, or related field strongly preferred.
- Professional editorial experience preferred.
- May require up to 10% time, including international travel.
Time Expected to Reach Full Performance Level in Position:
- 6 months
Physical Requirements: Office environment, able to work on computer or phone for long periods of time.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
For more information about careers at Hasbro become a fan on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and join our careers group on LinkedIn.
J2W Posting Code: Wizards of the Coast
Business Unit: Wizards - Corporate