Attorney Job (Renton, WA, US)
Attorney Job (Renton, WA, US)
Location: WA - Renton
Employment Type: Regular
Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and the world's largest publisher of adventure games, including Magic: The Gathering® Trading Card Game and Dungeons & Dragons® Role-playing Games has an exciting opportunity for an Attorney to join our team. Only local candidates need apply. There is no relocation assistance for this position.
Launched in 2002, Magic: The Gathering Online is the official online edition of the world’s most popular trading card game. Magic Online allows players to collect and trade virtual cards, build the perfect deck and find opponents at all skill levels – all from the comfort of their own homes. For more information on Wizards of the Coast and Magic: The Gathering Online, visit www.wizards.com.
We offer competitive salaries, a great benefits package, and the excitement of working in a creative organization. But the best part of working here is that we think creating products that bring hours of enjoyment to millions around the globe is an inherently cool way to earn a living.
The Attorney will provide legal support for Wizards of the Coast’s global marketing, sales, product development, organized play, technology and creative services groups. The Attorney will counsel clients on a broad range of legal issues, including intellectual property, licensing, marketing, advertising, promotions, gaming, digital rights, antitrust, regulatory matters, and contract interpretation, and will facilitate internal policy creation and implementation.
Major Responsibilities / Essential Functions:
- Work directly with and communicate legal issues succinctly to senior executives, and anticipate follow-up needs.
- Partner with key clients to proactively identify and further business strategies in transactions.
- Draft and negotiate a variety of agreements, including in-licenses, software licenses, marketing and promotions agreements, permissions, distribution agreements and work for hire agreements.
- Review and advise on advertising and marketing materials, including contests, sweepstakes and other promotions.
- Coordinate with internal legal and non-legal resources as necessary to address legal and business issues; coordinate with outside legal counsel in the United States, Latin America and Asia Pacific.
- Provide client education and training on relevant legal issues.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Expertise in negotiating and drafting a variety of business agreements
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Strong client relations skills, business sense, and the ability to make practical evaluations of risk
- Understanding of copyright, trademark, and trade secret laws and issues
- Ability to work effectively with team members from different disciplines and to interact well with members of senior management
- Flexibility and willingness to independently navigate areas of unfamiliarity
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize substantial and diverse workload and complete tasks within deadlines
- Comfort with a collaborative and creative environment is essential
Prior Related Experience:
- 3-6 years of relevant experience in law firm and/or in-house law department
- Experience with e-commerce, user generated content, online privacy and/or online gaming issues preferred
- Experience in Intellectual Property, and/or Licensing matters preferred
- Experience with handling / negotiating software and hardware contracts preferred
- Prior in-house experience a plus
- Bar membership must be in good standing.
- Experience with the Robinson-Patman Act a plus
Education and Training:
- J.D. from accredited law school with excellent academic credentials,
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
For more information about careers at Hasbro become a fan on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and join our careers group on LinkedIn.
J2W Posting Code: Wizards of the Coast
Business Unit: Wizards - Corporate