I work as a designer in Magic R&D, where we create Magic cards and Magic digital games. My job involves a careful balance of playtesting and experience design. My desk is situated in “the Pit,” which is a low-walled cubicle area on the 3rd floor where we argue daily (and loudly) about game design, superhero powers and the best place to eat lunch. The people I work with from every department are awesome because their love of games and fun equals my own. I’m also fortunate to get to travel to Magic events from time to time to meet equally excited players. I’ve worked in a lot of different kinds of companies, and nowhere else did I have as many workplace friends and as much fun crafting a product! -Dave
Featured Job View
Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and the world's largest publisher of adventure games, including Magic: The Gathering® Trading Card Game and Dungeons & Dragons® Roleplaying Games has an exciting opportunity for a Brand Manager, Magic, to join our team. Only local candidates need apply. There is no relocation assistance for this position.
Launched in 2002, Magic: The Gathering Online is the official online edition of the world’s most popular trading card game. Magic Online allows players to collect and trade virtual cards, build the perfect deck and find opponents at all skill levels – all from the comfort of their own homes. For more information on Wizards of the Coast and Magic: The Gathering Online, visit www.wizards.com.
We offer competitive salaries, a great benefits package, and the excitement of working in a creative organization. But the best part of working here is that we think creating products that bring hours of enjoyment to millions around the globe is an inherently cool way to earn a living.
We have an immediate need for a results-oriented, innovative global marketer to support our flagship game brand, Magic: The Gathering. In this role, you will build global marketing and product plans for Magic: The Gathering with a particular focus on crafting and executing acquisition marketing campaigns. Partnering with internal and external resources, you will develop and execute integrated marketing programs anchored by a crystalized brand positioning including products, organized play activities, social media, web content, promotions, public relations, etc. and will ensure the brand expressions, essence, and experience are consistent across the globe. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated expertise in lifestyle and/or entertainment brand consumer marketing, brand positioning and messaging, social media engagement, team leadership skills, superior execution of projects from planning through delivery, a passion for marketing, and an affinity for games or other lifestyle brands. A working knowledge of and passion for Magic: The Gathering is a huge asset.
- Under the direction of the Magic Brand Director and the VP of Marketing and in close partnership with the Magic Brand, Magic Digital, Player Lifecycle Management, Creative and Production Services (CAPS), Business Intelligence, R&D, Organized Play, Web, Events, Finance, and Communications Teams as well as regionally located global offices you will:
- Create and execute global marketing plans for Magic: The Gathering anchored by a crystalized brand positioning including products, organized play activities, social media, web content, promotions, PR, events, trade communications, and interactive marketing.
- Provide leadership to internal cross-functional teams as well as regionally located marketing teams to globally execute marketing initiatives.
- Act as liaison with creative departments/agencies responsible for various elements of marketing campaigns.
- Prepare and deliver marketing presentations.
- Analyze and report on performance and ROI of marketing campaigns and adjust plans to optimize.
- Track marketing budget and work with the finance and business intelligence teams to ensure financial targets are being met.
- Monitor and report on consumer reaction and generate consumer insight driven marketing proposals.
- Research and communicate current market trends and competitive activity to identify new business opportunities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Expertise in developing leading edge consumer marketing campaigns, integrating products, events, organized play activities, social media, web content, promotions, public relations, etc.
- Expertise in brand positioning and messaging, especially for lifestyle and/or entertainment brand
- Expertise in transforming a strategy and vision into actionable plans
- Excellent leadership ability within a highly matrixed organization: ability to provide clear and concise direction/feedback to stakeholders and the ability to influence others to adopt his/her recommendations
- Strong project management abilities; capable of prioritizing and handling multiple projects simultaneously, under tight time constraints and within budget parameters
- Well developed, verbal, written and presentation skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications
- Experience working with international partners a plus
- Knowledge of the digital game and/or hobby game industries highly desirable
- Knowledge of and passion for Magic a huge plus. Please specify any Magic specific experience/knowledge on your resume
- This position is the global leader for acquisition Magic player targeted marketing campaigns and has authority to plan and execute these campaigns with higher level check-ins needed when moving between planning phase changes (between initiate, elaborate, construct, and deliver). A campaign element that crosses into other Magic activities or involve spends/revenue for other business units must be escalated.
- Strong partnership with the wider Magic Brand, Magic Digital, and Player Lifecycle Management teams
- Marketing teams (Advertising, Market Research, Marketing Creative, Public Relations, Organized Play, Web)
- Production teams (R&D, Digital)
- International teams (Business and Marketing)
- Finance (Business Intelligence)
- External marketing and PR agencies
Prior Related Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive experience in consumer marketing, preferably supporting a global brand.
- Experience in the video/digital game, hobby game, toy, entertainment, or related field strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of and passion for Magic a huge plus. Please specify any Magic specific experience/knowledge on your resume.
Education and Training:
- BA/BS or equivalent experience required, preferably with a concentration in Marketing or related coursework. MBA preferred.
- May require up to 5% travel time, including international travel.
Time Expected to Reach Full Performance Level in Position:
- 6 months
- Office environment, able to work on computer or phone for long periods of time.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position