I work as a designer in Magic R&D, where we create Magic cards and Magic digital games. My job involves a careful balance of playtesting and experience design. My desk is situated in “the Pit,” which is a low-walled cubicle area on the 3rd floor where we argue daily (and loudly) about game design, superhero powers and the best place to eat lunch. The people I work with from every department are awesome because their love of games and fun equals my own. I’m also fortunate to get to travel to Magic events from time to time to meet equally excited players. I’ve worked in a lot of different kinds of companies, and nowhere else did I have as many workplace friends and as much fun crafting a product! -Dave
Featured Job View
Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and the world's largest publisher of adventure games, including Magic: The Gathering Trading Card Game and Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Games has an exciting opportunity for a Technical Producer, MTGO Live to join our team. Only local candidates need apply. There is no relocation assistance for this position.
Launched in 2002, Magic: The Gathering Online is the official online edition of the world’s most popular trading card game. Magic Online allows players to collect and trade virtual cards, build the perfect deck and find opponents at all skill levels – all from the comfort of their own homes. For more information on Wizards of the Coast and Magic: The Gathering Online, visit wizards.com/magic
We offer competitive salaries, a great benefits package, and the excitement of working in a creative organization. But the best part of working here is that we think creating products that bring hours of enjoyment to millions around the globe is an inherently cool way to earn a living.
Lead assigned cross-functional teams through development or Live Operations support of the Magic Online Game Service; delivering the business vision, goals, and priorities established by Product Management. In this role, you will set clear production and technology direction, leading cross-functional teams to deliver an excellent customer experience on the Magic Online Game Service. You will be accountable for delivery within established scope, schedule, and budget.
With the goal business value and product management vision, you will work with internal and external teams in the areas of Product Management, design, engineering, architecture, and PMO at the execution levels partnering primarily with Product Managers, Architects, Software Engineering Managers, Experience Designers, Game Designers, Quality Assurance Managers, and Project Managers.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience and expertise in driving successful execution for one or more gaming services through cross-functional management of multi-disciplinary teams focused on delivering amazing customer experiences on-time and within budget.
A passion for Magic: The Gathering is a huge asset but not a requirement for as long as the candidate has previous working experience in a digital games company and can demonstrate production management expertise in one or more digital games genre and/or digital services company.
Planning - Elaboration
- Works with internal and external resources to facilitate in-depth technical, functional, and architectural design documents and create realistic production schedules with detailed milestones and deliverables Defines and implements audience and monetization targets and plans for assigned digital games and/or gaming services to achieve revenue goals.
- Develops detailed functional and technical requirements for bug fixes, major/minor enhancements and feature requests from Product Management.
- Develops, maintains and communicates the architectural and technical vision of assigned digital services, products, games.
Delivery - Production Management
- Directs the post-release live operations of assigned digital services, products, games, features, leads and drives the development and implementation of live experiences according to business goals set by Product Management to achieve customer or consumer engagement and/or revenue goals.
- Leads and drives the development and implementation of new features, functionalities, adjustments to the assigned digital services, products, games as defined in relationship with the Product Management team to grow revenues and/or customer/consumer engagement.
- Directs/manages/coordinates cross-organization efforts to develop, release, run and maintain assigned digital services, products, games, features within budget and on schedule.
- Accountable for quality of delivery and live operations of assigned digital services, products, games. Ensures features and functionalities, user interface and experience meet the business requirements.
- Ensures that internal and external developers and other production resources meet milestones and receive all necessary technical information.
Leadership / Management
- Manages development and live operations production resources. Solicits, hires and manages third party resources engaged for development and production. Attracts and develops outside product development/engineering talent.
- Manages/coordinates cross-organization execution efforts to ensure all relevant internal and external relevant parties are apprised of plans, schedules for the development, production and live operations of assigned digital services, products, games.
- Reports to the Director and Executive in charge and delivers updates to the executive management team
People and Resources
- Provides input to associate producers, leads, and other team members
- Has input on and supports management of budgetary items such as project costs, headcount, training, hardware, and software
- Identifies and prioritizes the key issues that must be addressed for projects to succeed
- Works with teams to identify, analyze, and resolve project problems
- Conducts progress and deliverable reviews during development and adjusts scope and schedule accordingly
- Manages schedules, facilitates the gathering of requirements and specifications
- Works closely with other managers and project leads to ensure that the entire project life cycle is a quality process
- Contribute to Magic’s digital products and services execution plans, and is empowered to execute using production management strategies approved by VP of Technology and the Director of Engineering.
- Drives the use of standards; including project, program, architecture, and SDLC standards
- Participates in Business process review and redesign
- Implements and tracks related process improvement efforts
- Identifies and communicates organizational and process solutions to mitigate risks
- Establishes processes and work assignments
- Identifies leading-edge techniques and methodologies for their area of expertise
- Serves as liaison with other teams’ Product Management and Technology Teams
- Submits weekly and monthly communiqués to stakeholders
Tools and Technology
- Project Management Software
- Bug Tracking and Workflow Management Software
- Content Management Systems
- Microsoft Office suite of tools
- Platform familiarity with iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, etc.
- Financial Management
- Project or program budgets
- Budget forecasting and management for $2m+
- Provides data for Product Management regarding product P&L
- Works with Finance on viability for new contracts/products and assists in the development of P&L forecasting for new ventures
This role will require developing strong partnerships and close interactions with multiple individuals and groups within Wizards of the Coast including (but not limited to):
- Product Managers
- Engineering teams
- Quality Assurance and Quality Control teams
- Project Management Office
- TS Operations teams, including Infrastructure and Platforms
- Live Operations teams, including Game Support and customer service
- Managed Services
- Professional Services
- Budgetary management of assigned programs and projects
Prior Related Experience:
- As a Producer, successfully shipped at least 2-3 digital games or services in a lead role
- 4+ years working as a Producer, or similar, managing external and internal development teams and/or production management teams
- 4+ years business development or licensor/licensee relations experience
- 2 years experience with project budgetary processes, profit, loss, and return on investment required
- Experience with project management software such as Microsoft Project or similar required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Practical knowledge of digital games and/or gaming services live operational models
- Practical knowledge of digital games and/or gaming services development and engineering models
- Practical knowledge of digital games and/or gaming services architectural models
- Experience incorporating insightful consumer understanding and analytical data into digital games and/or gaming services planning and management
- Experience managing digital games and/or services lifecycle from design to launch and through post-launch live operations
- Experience leading directly and/or by influence cross-functional digital games and/or gaming services development and operations teams in a matrixed/diverse organization
- Experience driving actionable plans aligned to strategic vision and goals
- Capable of prioritizing and handling multiple projects simultaneously, under tight time constraints and within budget parameters
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Highly creative, resourceful, and visionary
- A passion for Magic: The Gathering a huge plus
Education and Training:
- BA or BS preferred. MBA or Masters is ideal. However, five or more years of game industry or technology production experience would be an acceptable substitution
- Must have a deep understanding of Wizards major Brand or Brands and overall product management processes for Brand and product management within the spectrum of the Digital organization’s development processes
- Highly capable with requirements analysis, software development, databases, hardware, quality assurance, and technology operations
- Experience reconciling iterative software development with a waterfall project methodology, or combination of waterfall and agile (network, infrastructure, or widely cross-functional) is highly desirable
- May require up to 10% travel time, including international travel
Time Expected to Reach Full Performance Level in Position:
- 3 months
- Office environment, able to work on computer or phone for long periods of time
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.