Featured Job View
Director - Solution/Systems Architecture
Location: WA - Renton
Employment Type: Regular
Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and the world's largest publisher of adventure games, including Magic: The Gathering® Trading Card Game and Dungeons & Dragons® Role-playing Games has an exciting opportunity for a Director – Solution/Systems Architecture to join our team.
Launched in 2002, Magic: The Gathering Online is the official online edition of the world’s most popular trading card game. Magic Online allows players to collect and trade virtual cards, build the perfect deck and find opponents at all skill levels – all from the comfort of their own homes. For more information on Wizards of the Coast and Magic: The Gathering Online, visit www.wizards.com.
We offer competitive salaries, a great benefits package, and the excitement of working in a creative organization. But the best part of working here is that we think creating products that bring hours of enjoyment to millions around the globe is an inherently cool way to earn a living.
Lead a team of Solution Architects and Systems Architects to develop architectural requirements and solution designs that deliver business value and progress towards WotC’s Enterprise Architecture and Core Services vision. Build and maintain an excellent architecture practice by establishing highly effective, mutually beneficial relationships with the engineering, production, and operations teams that are delivering WotC’s platform and gaming services. Engage with Product Management and Enterprise Analysts to fully understand how to develop business value through solution design.
- As a key member of the senior technology leadership team at Wizards, this position reports to the Sr. Director – Architecture and Systems Design and sits on the Architecture Technology Council
- Manages a highly effective team of Solution and Systems Architects in close partnership with the Directors of Software Development and their staff
- Sets the implementation direction for key strategic technology initiatives
- Ensures effective collaboration between Solution/System Architects and their Principle Engineer partners on the engineering teams.
- Articulates and mediates tradeoffs related to scalability, manageability, testability, security, maintainability, usability, functionality, cost, and time
- Develops policies, approves standards and guidelines
- Works closely with other Architects, business sponsors, domain experts, Technology Project Managers, Development Supervisors, Quality Assurance Supervisors, and Technology Operations Supervisors to ensure that projects delivery both tactically and strategically
- Possesses broad, current knowledge of WotC’s standard technologies
- Grasps issues quickly and makes educated, critical judgments in the absence of complete information
- Persists the enterprise technology vision when managing the solution space
- Solves complex problems in a challenging environment
- Effectively determines, understands, and satisfies business requirements
- Clearly communicates risks and appropriately escalates issues to management
- Leads the technical efforts of various teams, makes critical decisions under pressure, and makes those decisions stick
- Works effectively with the architect handling technical issues, and the manager handling administrative issues
- Communicates well with team members to earn trust, persuade, motivate, and mentor
- Evangelize the Enterprise concept and strategy
- Support the introduction of Continuous Delivery and DevOps practices
- Assist with Project Budgets / Input on Programs / Project Budgets
- Staff Size: 4-6 direct reports
- Jr. Architects
- Sr. Architects
Other Key Relationships
- Enterprise Architect
- Engineering/Production Directors
- Senior Technology Producers
- Principle Engineers
- Directors of Product Management
- Architecture Technology Council
- Sr. Manager – Continuous Delivery
- Platform Architect – Gaming Services
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of people
- Ability to communicate effectively across a spectrum of Business, Creative, and Technology personnel at all levels of the organization
- Familiar with wide range of architectural patterns, tools and methodologies
- Extensive knowledge of Service Oriented Architecture
- Minimum 1 year in at least one technology discipline other than programming required, e.g., software quality assurance, project management, build engineering and configuration management
- Ability to manage, support and motivate senior technologists
- Ability to grasp and distill highly complex software development issues
- Ability to work well in multi-disciplinary groups including technical, marketing, web strategy, and customer experience
Prior Related Experience
- 5+ years managing senior technology staff
- 5+ years technology and architecture experience on enterprise or large consumer scale systems
- 10 years of experience in software development, at least 5 of which have been in a architecture or system configuration role
- 5+ years as a senior programmer
- 4 or more years experience in the domain to which the architect is assigned, e.g. game systems, eCommerce, CRM, Human Resources, ERP, etc.
- 1-2 years of information architecture or usability testing
- Experience with online gaming or other high volume, consumer experience platform services a major plus
- Experience contributing to successful DevOps and Continuous Delivery integrations a major plus
Education and Training:
- BA/BS or equivalent experience required
- Office environment, able to work on computer or phone for long periods of time.
Time Expected to Reach Full Performance Level in Position:
- 6 months
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
For more information about careers at Hasbro become a fan on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and join our careers group on LinkedIn.