Featured Job View
Director Organized Play, Premier Play & e-Sports
Location: WA - Renton
Employment Type: Regular
Bring Your Brain…..
We’ll Supply the Dragons!!!
Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and the world's largest publisher of adventure games, including Magic: The Gathering® Trading Card Game and Dungeons & Dragons® Roleplaying Games has an exciting opportunity for a Director, Premier Play & e-Sports to join our team.
We offer competitive salaries, a great benefits package, and the excitement of working in a creative organization. But the best part of working here is that we think creating products that bring hours of enjoyment to millions around the globe is an inherently cool way to earn a living.
WHAT IS THIS ROLE ALL ABOUT?
Wizards is looking for a seasoned marketing professional to lead its Premier Play and e-Sports programs. For more than 20 years, Magic’s Premier Play has been the highest form of competitive play for the Magic: The Gathering franchise. Magic Premier Play features competitive play events that take place throughout the world and that brings together from 400 to 5,000+ players with a total cash award ranging from $40,000 to $250,000 per events. Premier Play events include the Magic Pro Tour (4/year), the World Magic Cup, the Magic Players Championship and the Magic Grand Prix (50+/year).
The Director of Premier Play and e-Sports manages both the strategic and operational aspects of all Premier Play and e-Sports programs, including business planning, event programming, event coverage content development and distribution management. This Director is also responsible for business and operations management of both events and tournaments, development of Premier Play and e-Sports players community and marketing/promotion of Magic Premier Play and e-Sports to the wider Magic player community.
The ideal candidate brings solid experience in the e-Sports industry growing active participation from players in premier tournaments (paper and digital) and/or e-Sports for other gaming brands. This Director's role is pivotal for Wizards, and will lead a team of 8+ employees, leveraging global functional teams in organized play, brand, digital and Research & Development.
Day to Day Responsibilities For This Wizard:
Business planning, programming (format design & scheduling) and tournament operations of Magic’s Premier Play and e-Sports programs
- Provides strategic vision and tactical direction for Premier Play and e-Sports events, including locations, play formats, tournament structure and platforms (physical and digital)
- Structure and manage internal and external teams to deliver superior player experience at Premier Play and e-Sports events
- Evolve and develop Premier Play and e-Sports offerings to maintain and expand Magic’s category leadership
- Continuously evaluate and improve performance of key business partners (tournament organizers, event agencies)
- In close collaboration with the regional, brand, organized play, digital, R/D and business intelligence teams, monitor and improve the global performance of Premier Play and e-Sports
Marketing & promotion of Premier Play and e-Sports
- Provides strategic vision and leads execution of marketing approach to grow the audience of players participating in high-level competitive physical and digital events
- Develop innovative ways to promote current and future Premier Play and e-Sports offering to increase the awareness of the Magic: The Gathering brand among new players and increase engagement of current Magic players and grow overall Magic Premier Play and e-Sports players community
Content development and distribution strategy & execution
- Provides strategic vision for event content development and distribution including flag ship events (Pro Tour), mid-tier (Grand Prix) and other subsidized or crowd-sourced streaming content
- Constantly improves the quality of Magic’s event coverage and enhance the entertainment value of our programming
- Continuously evaluate and increase the reach, performance and pertinence of Magic’s Premier Play and e-Sports content plans
- Manages and develops the relationships with content distributors, content aggregators and gaming multi-channel networks
Business management Premier Play and e-Sports ecosystem
- Provides strategic vision to develop the Premier Play and e-Sports ecosystem of business partners to grow the presence and leadership of Magic in both physical premier and digital e-Sports events
- Develop strategic partnership with key event organizers (physical and digital) and business partners globally to integrate independent event series in the Magic’s Premier Play and e-Sports ecosystem
- Provides strategic and business management leadership to scale up the Magic Grand Prix program globally
Who Are the Other Wizards, Teams and Partners You Will Work With?
- Brand team
- International team
- Research & Development team
- Market Research team
AM I QUALIFIED?
Experience Creating and Casting These Spells:
- 5+ years of marketing in gaming industry
- High value ($1+ million) contract negotiation experience
- 5+ years of management experience
- 5+ years of budget management experience
- 3+ years of prior experience in organized competition or E-sports
- 3+ years of prior experience working with international
- Event management
Knowledge, Abilities and Characteristics of the Ideal Wizard:
- Demonstrated marketing skills.
- Highly creative and visionary.
- Strong strategic and analytical skills, resulting in a demonstrated ability to offer creative solutions.
- Demonstrated negotiation skills.
- Team player with strong leadership and managerial skills.
- Excellent communicator.
- Excellent budget management
- Thorough understanding of Premier Play and E-sports Ability to recognize, coach, and develop talent.
- Strong affinity with gaming industry.
- Demonstrated ability to think globally and work with international partners.
- Demonstrated ability to think globally and work with international partners
- Ability to identify innovative ways to resolve an existing challenge
- Ability to continuously recommend potential improvements while operating under a flat budget, by focusing on tactics that are the most impactful.
Education and Training:
- Bachelor's degree, Marketing focused preferred or commensurate experience
- 10% of time per year
Time Expected to Reach Full Performance Level in Position:
- 1 year
- Office environment, able to work on a computer for long periods of time.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
For more information about careers at Hasbro become a fan on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and join our careers group on LinkedIn.
J2W Posting Code: Wizards of the Coast
Business Unit: Wizards - Corporate